1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is the day you set considered day #1?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommahento5, May 1, 2009.

1. mommahento5

mommahento5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    South East Indiana
    I am confused. Is the day you set your eggs considered day #1, or that considered day #0? I am at either day 14 or 15 and getting ready to candle again, but I am wondering which day I need to take out my turner (day 18) this week. Thanks so much!

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Well, this is how I think about this. A day is 24 hours. So the end of the first day of incubation is 24 hours after you set the eggs.

So, if you set them at 8 am, then 8 am the next day will be day 1. Does that make sense?

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    If you set them early in the am you can count that as day 1, if you set them later in the day dont count day one in till the next day !! Understand what i'm saying ??

4. mommahento5

mommahento5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    South East Indiana
    Got it! We set them around 9-10 am, so I guess I will count that as day #1. Which means I should have some little chickys by next weekend!!! [​IMG] Thanks so much!!

Day 14 and counting!

5. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    I always counted the day you set as Day 0, regardless of the time I set it because I figure it takes time for the egg to warm up to the right incubating temp so development doesn't start at the point when you pop the eggs in the bator... It's different with a hen because she lays them and then sits on them. We hatch eggs that have been at room temp or lower for a bit before popping them in the bator. [​IMG]

ozzie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by