1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is the ear muff gene a problem ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rosetinted, Jan 10, 2010.

1. rosetinted

rosetinted Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    I was wondering in someone could help me out [​IMG]

I read somewhere that the earmuff gene can be lethal if doubled up.
    Can anyone explain to me how true this is & what is done to avoid it when breeding with earmuffed breeds.

Also, does this problem extend to bearded breeds too?

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Interesting question....I have never heard of such a thing so I will be watching to see what info you get from the more experienced folks here. It might help to give more info...

Breed of Bird

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you are thinking of the tufted gene which is totally a different gene and is associated with "real araucana USA type", tuft gene is lethal in a double dose, Which when breeding two birds with the visual gene/tufts their will be some losses in the eggs before they hatch.
    also there is small small chance in chicks that survive of other defects in the birds heads: beak problems, not on center or twisted one way or another, holes in the ear canals(leaking food through the ears) etc.
    Breeding is best clean faced to tufted, but there can be a small % of losses as well, but the chances are better in results of hatches going this route.

The Muff gene is not lethal..associated with USA type ameraucana, ee's, silkies etc..Uk araucana can have as well

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  4. rosetinted

rosetinted Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    Ahhhhhh, I see!! I was confused with muffs & tufts!!

Thanks so much for getting back to me wilds [​IMG]

I've done a fair bit of googling on the subject since you posted & have found some interesting stuff.

I think in short, I will avoid tufted birds until I have waaaaay more experience, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by