Is "The Egg Song" a real song?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maizy'smom, Sep 17, 2011.

1. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Hi, my girls are just about 20 weeks old now, (they are SLW, BLRW, BO, & JG), and we are on the "egg watch." I have seen mention here of something called the "Egg Song." I'm just wondering if there is an actual song, recognized by all breeds of chickens, that we can be listening for? The girls have been making their opinion clear on the golf balls we put in their nest boxes for inspiration.....they kick them out. Repeatedly. Several times a day. Our friends & family are all asking, "any eggs yet?" I told them the girls wouldn't be ready till about 18-22 weeks of age....and we're just in the middle of that window now. We are all new to this since this spring, so any words of wisdom are appreciated. Thanks!

mm

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My girls "egg songs" consist of them running around "bok bok bokaking" very loudy for about 5 mins. It is no where near a "song" but I do love to hear them "singing". I can tell from in the house when someone has laid an egg. The entire valley rings with chicken song. LOL

Good luck on your first egg. You will be soooo egg-cited that YOU will probably sing the egg song!! [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Not really a song, no.

Different breeds may have different pitches/voices, and individuals may use different notes or rhythms, but in general it is always just a repeated call.

4. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    I relate it to if you won $100 in the lottery. You are excited and tell everyone around you about it but then you have to go about your daily task of pecking and scratching. The next day the same thing happens but because you are a bird brain you forgot you did the same thing yesterday.

5. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    sorry to ruin your party but no it is not a real a song

6. maizy'smom

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Twocrowsranch & Illia,
    Thanks so much for your responses! We are all excited and anxious for the big day! Can't quite say we're walking on egg shells(sorry, couldn't resist), but I'm sure the girls are starting to wonder why we keep checking on them, and poking our noses into their business. When it does happen, I'm sure you'll be able to hear me all the way from here in PA!

mm

7. maizy'smom

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Quote:Thanks! I'm still chuckling over that one![​IMG][​IMG]

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    maizy'smom :

Twocrowsranch & Illia,
    Thanks so much for your responses! We are all excited and anxious for the big day! Can't quite say we're walking on egg shells(sorry, couldn't resist), but I'm sure the girls are starting to wonder why we keep checking on them, and poking our noses into their business. When it does happen, I'm sure you'll be able to hear me all the way from here in PA!

mm

When I finally got my first egg, I ran around screaming..."an egg!! And EGG!! Someone laid an EEEEEEEGG!!!! I could hardly contain myself!!​

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  9. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Well, I view as my girls are "singing" after they lay an egg. They just can't carry a tune to save their little souls. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  10. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    If you put "Egg song" in the search field on Youtube.com, you'll get some great examples of what you're listening for [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by