1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is the egg still fertilized?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickadee007, Apr 27, 2016.

1. chickadee007

chickadee007 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2015
    Waynesville, Ohio
    My Coop
    Rooster has been gone (hawk got him) for 12 days. Is the egg my broody hen is sitting on still fertile?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    When was the egg laid? Hens can continue to produce fertile eggs for 2-4 weeks after the last mating from a rooster, but there is no way to guarantee that this particular egg is or is not fertile. I would leave her to set and candle at 7 days to check for development.

3. chickadee007

Feb 7, 2015
    Waynesville, Ohio
    My Coop
    It would have been layed today. I took the egg she layed yesterday, she didn't get broody until yesterday afternoon. I'm new to this but she wouldn't get out of the nesting box and slept their last night so I figured that is what is going on. I came home from work today and she is still in the nesting box. I'm not sure if she is sitting on an egg or not but if she is she layed it today. Will they sit on nothing? Will they only lay one egg right before they are broody?

4. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    How does she act if you try to remove her from the nest? Mine screech like bloody murder and fluff all their feathers up in indignation at being disturbed. Broody hens are impossible to miss. She should not be laying eggs if she has gone broody, although she may have one under her now. They will sit on nothing, and also on any other eggs they can find.

5. chickadee007

Feb 7, 2015
    Waynesville, Ohio
    My Coop
    I haven't tried to move her. Should I? I opened up the top to the next box and she just stared at me.

6. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    You can try - just be careful that she can't reach your hands or wrist to peck at you :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by