Is the first poop always green?

Well, this is my first brand-new chick experience, and I don't remember about my shipped chicks last year, but this baby's poop is definitely green.

Urates can be clear or white, but all the first poops I have seen have been green.

Jody

So green in the liquid of a dead chick's egg (or live chick's for that matter) may not absolutely be a sign of infection.... It may just be poop....

I don't know....but with humans a distressed baby can pass stool even several weeks prior to delivery or just prior...ironically looks like pea soup when passed 24 hours or so prior to delivery...this is caused by stress to the infant, not necessarily infection. This can happen with other mammals too. Highly damaging to the lungs often causes a pnemonia type of illness....I'll leave the direct answer to the bird experts, but maybe the baby chicks were stressed then pooped in the egg mary

sisters
that was the same thought I've had many times. i've thought about how a baby poops in utero if it gets distressed and how a chick might do the same thing.

First poos are green. The baby chicks do produce waste in the shell though and after hatch, it is seen as a greenish whiteish pouch in the left over shell along with other membrane stuff.

So green in the liquid of a dead chick's egg (or live chick's for that matter) may not absolutely be a sign of infection.... It may just be poop....

The only hatch I ever had here that possibly had some sort of bacterial infection had smelly clear lemon colored jelly like goo in the shell after the chicks hatched.
I think that group of chicks also had rough navels as well.
Never figured out what caused it --- hadn't seen it before or since.

Good luck figuring out your problem.

smile.png

Lisa​

Back
Top Bottom