1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is the first poop always green?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowlwoman1, Aug 30, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I thought the first time a chick poops it is always green. What has been everyone else's experience?

2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Well, this is my first brand-new chick experience, and I don't remember about my shipped chicks last year, but this baby's poop is definitely green.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Urates can be clear or white, but all the first poops I have seen have been green.

Jody

4. Hi Fowlwoman1!
    All the first poops I've noticed here have been green --- almost neon green.

I hope you figure out what has been the problem with your hatching. I know that must be really frustrating.

Good Luck!
    Lisa

5. fowlwoman1

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    So green in the liquid of a dead chick's egg (or live chick's for that matter) may not absolutely be a sign of infection.... It may just be poop....

6. 3 sisters farm

3 sisters farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    I don't know....but with humans a distressed baby can pass stool even several weeks prior to delivery or just prior...ironically looks like pea soup when passed 24 hours or so prior to delivery...this is caused by stress to the infant, not necessarily infection. This can happen with other mammals too. Highly damaging to the lungs often causes a pnemonia type of illness....I'll leave the direct answer to the bird experts, but maybe the baby chicks were stressed then pooped in the egg mary

7. fowlwoman1

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    sisters
    that was the same thought I've had many times. i've thought about how a baby poops in utero if it gets distressed and how a chick might do the same thing.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

First poos are green. The baby chicks do produce waste in the shell though and after hatch, it is seen as a greenish whiteish pouch in the left over shell along with other membrane stuff.

9. So green in the liquid of a dead chick's egg (or live chick's for that matter) may not absolutely be a sign of infection.... It may just be poop....

The only hatch I ever had here that possibly had some sort of bacterial infection had smelly clear lemon colored jelly like goo in the shell after the chicks hatched.
    I think that group of chicks also had rough navels as well.
    Never figured out what caused it --- hadn't seen it before or since.

Good luck figuring out your problem.

[​IMG]
    Lisa​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by