Is the gamebird feed that I bought contains too much calcium for my about 3 month old bantam chicken

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Luckybaby, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Luckybaby

Luckybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    I read, that too much calcium in a chickens food, can negatively affect a chicken's health, if they keep on eating it for a long time. I couldn't find any unmedicated 5lb or 10lb chicken feed on the feed store, few days ago, so I decided to buy the 10lb. gamebird pellets. I read it from morning bird company website, that the presence of cocci care which has amprolium and ethopabate as an active ingredient, may degrade probiotics. I think that ethopabate might be the ingredient that degrades it, but I am not sure, so I want unmedicated chicken feed, while they are drinking probiotics. The calcium content in the gamebird pellets is 1.85-2.35%, while the broiler starter is 0.80-1.40% and triple duty feed have calcium levels of 1.1-1.60%.

Layer pellets have calcium levels of 4.0-5.0% and egg producer crumbles have 3.6-4.35% calcium.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I think you will be fine feeding this, it's the 5 - 6% protein layer that can cause issues, even then I think it's more of a long-term issue. If you only have a few bird, you might consider having exactly what you want shipped to you. Or, see if one of the local stores will special order it. I have several stores around me and I know some will special order feed. Maybe look up local 'feed store' in the yellow pages to find other places to look.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Where did you get it, what brand?
    It's a little high for non-laying fowl, the game bird feed I use is a lot lower in calcium

Starter (30% protein) -
    Calcium (Ca) not less than ----- 0.95%
    Calcium (Ca) not more than --- 1.5%

Starter (20% protein) -
    Calcium (Ca) not less than ----- 0.95%
    Calcium (Ca) not more than --- 1.45%

Maintenance -
    Calcium (Ca) not less than ----- 0.60%
    Calcium (Ca) not more than --- 1.20%

Breeder -
    Calcium (Ca) not less than ----- 2.3%
    Calcium (Ca) not more than --- 3.3%

Heres the listing for Purina WildLife Game Bird (The brand I used until I switched)

Starter -
    Calcium (Ca) not less than ----- 1.0%
    Calcium (Ca) not more than --- 1.5%

Flight Conditioner -
    Calcium (Ca) not less than ----- 0.85%
    Calcium (Ca) not more than --- 1.35%

Maintenance -
    Calcium (Ca) not less than ----- 0.5%
    Calcium (Ca) not more than --- 1.0%

Layena -
    Calcium (Ca) not less than ----- 2.5%
    Calcium (Ca) not more than --- 3.5%

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  4. Luckybaby

Mar 11, 2014
    Land O Lakes feed. Instead of giving it to them, should I give it to my laying chickens? I only bought the 10lb. bag, for my 9 3 month old cochins and d'uccle bantam. I think they will consume all of it in about 2 weeks.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Can you post the tag off the bag?
    That amount of calcium may be a layer/ breeder type feed.
    The feed that I use is Mazuri, it's put out by Land-O-Lakes and there game bird breeder is 3.3% protein.

You might want to feed that Land-O-Lakes feed to your layers and maybe look for a game bird feed that is for non-laying fowl.
    Look for a non-medicated starter.

6. Luckybaby

Mar 11, 2014
    I don't have the nutritional value, since I bought the 10lb. bag, which came from the 50lb. bag of gamebird feed that they are selling. I only memorized the protein and calcium content, which is at least 25% and 1.85-2.35% respectively. It is not medicated, and I didn't see it labeled specifically for laying or breeder type of gamebird. Its exact name is gamebird pellet. The important label that I saw on the 50 lb. bag are land o lakes feed, hawaiian grain and island fresh feed.

7. Luckybaby

Mar 11, 2014
    How about if their feed everyday consists of 1/4-1/3 of gamebird pellet and 2/3-3/4 of triple duty?

Triple duty- 1.1-1.6% calcium
    Gamebird pellet- 1.85-2.35% calcium

At 1/4 gamebird and 3/4 triple duty, the calcium level would be 1.7875% max
    At 1/3 gamebird and 2/3 triple duty, the calcium level would be about 1.85% max

I read from some websites that it shouldn't consist of at least 2% calcium. Do you know what is the calcium value in feed, for it to be considered detrimental to their health?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by