is the garage going to be safe as a brooder?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bj taylor, Feb 4, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i have a rabbit hutch modified to a brooder. the wire is about 1" square. the bottom, top, three sides & the bottom section of the front are boarded up from predators. i'm wondering if the chicks will be safe in the garage for awhile? currently, no snakes/mice/rats, just two cats. the cats are going to be frustrated, but they can't get the babies. do i need to expect rats/mice/snakes in the garage because i have chicks?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    1" is pretty good size holes. Coons and such can reach through and pull a leg or whatever though, and eat it off, if the chick itself won't fit through. I lost a chick to a snake last year using 1/4' wire. The snake could fit in (not a large snake) but couldn't get back out with the chick in him. But I think that was unusual. I don't know whether rats would be a threat or not.

If the cage is raised, you might get away with it.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I had my chickens in the garage in a playpen with bird netting over top.Did fine.I get mice going under the garage door. Lucky I guess that all the coons I had did not figure out how to open the dinner door. Maybe staple some smaller wire fencing over the larger holes.Better safer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by