Is the humidity pump worth the $$? And Brinsea longevity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Want Less, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Ordering a Brinsea octagon 20 to take advantage of holiday savings on their site. Big question... is the humidity pump worth the extra $100 or is it easy enough for a beginner to do without?

We are leaning toward the model with the turner & digital display.

Also, can anyone comment on the overall longevity of Brinsea incubators?

[​IMG]

2. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    I'm kicking myself for not upgrading to a model with a humidity pump right now. I have the Mini incubator, but I know others have the same problems I do with their octagon incubators. Because of their small size, you can only add a small amount of water to get the humidity level you'd like (I'm shooting for around 45%), and the water evaporates quite quickly! I've been adding water every evening and now in the mornings as well. It's fine because I'm hand-turning anyway, but I'm becoming worried about lockdown. I'd recommend going for the model with the humidity pump if you can afford it. You'll probably get a lot more sleep!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My first two hatches in my Octogon 20 were awesome.

Since then it won't hold temp. Biggest waste of money I've ever spent.
    Wish I'd have bought TWO or THREE more 1588s instead... or saved my money for a sportsman.

4. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Thanks for the info guys!

The more I read, the more I find people having problems with the humidity pump so maybe we'll skip it for now. I am curious to hear from more people about the longevity as well. [​IMG]

5. buckbye

buckbye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    NWCT
    Forgive my n00bishness, I have the same question as OP and would like to see this thread revived with more opinions. If I'm considering a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance, is it worth it to spring for the humidity pump? Why or why not? Would a pump save me a significant amount of work, time, or worry? Is the pump necessary if I'm away from home all day, or even away for a few days? Are there certain eggs that do better with a humidity pump? Would it improve my hatch rate?

Thank you all again for your patience, I am quite new at this!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by