Is the humidity too low?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ih66series, Oct 16, 2011.

1. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    Day 19, on lockdown. I filled the troughs in the incubator that I was instructed to and the humidity won't pass 60%. Should I leave it or open the inucbator and try to bring it up?

2. ih66series

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    Anyone?

3. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Just let me say, this is only my second hatch and my first one I did was a flunk. My humidity was running way to high during incubation. Now I'm trying the "dry incubation" so from that point of view, I would think 60 would be fine. I will try to keep mine between 60-70 during lockdown. Nothing higher than that.

4. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

Try to put a lid or small jar of water in the corner and put a piece of sponge or rag in it to wick up the moisture. But make sure none have pipped yet before opening! By the way 60 % is minimal for lockdown.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  5. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

Also if your bator is a foam bodied one the humidity will soar after the first one pips and zips. So 60% ought to be enough.If it drops below that put the extra water.

6. ih66series

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    Yeah, it is foam.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    This is what I do, to get the humidity up I use a mason jar with a sponge that acts like a wick. This is just what I do and may not work as well for others. The incubator is sensitive to the climate where ever you live. If the humidity out is high then my humidity runs higher in the incubator when the humidity runs low then the incubator humidity tends to run lower. There has been times when the humidity was quite low so I put two jars in the incubator. I also fill the reservoirs in the bottom of the incubator as well. Some people put the water in the reservoirs in the bottom of the incubator and then put a paper towell in the bottom the paper towel will act like a wick and also make cleaning the incubator easier after the hatch is over.

Have you calibrated your hygrometer? Here is a great link on calibrating a hygrometer. http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer.htm

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by