Is the leg broken?

Pics

Isabella6Storm4

Free Ranging
Oct 4, 2022
Ardonia
I keep finding hens under the coop laying on there side with their legs sticking out. They have no balance and cant get up to eat by themselves. So far i have 3 of them in a crate due to this. One leg is always limp while the other seems to be working just fine. The first one is walking again but i'm keeping it in so i can keep an eye on it. The 2nd seems to be breathing pretty heavily and i found the 3rd just this morning. i'll post pics later. Any ideas?

Sadly it sounds as if they may have Marek's disease. Have they been vaccinated for Marek's?
The Leghorn is from Meyers Hatchery and the ones we got from there were vaccinated. The Bard Rock is from Country Max and the ones we got from there were not. The Blue Orpington was from Tractor Supply and those weren't either but that one seems to be doing fine. I've dealt with Marek's before and i'm not seeing any other symptoms. i'll check them again when i go out in a bit.

The Leghorn died
1673644706268.jpeg

The Bard Rock is hanging in there
1673644763631.jpeg

This one was doing the same thing but seems to be fine now. She has poop plastered all over her vent fluff but i'm not sure what i should do to remove it in the winter.
1673644938039.png

It looks like the leghorn also had wry neck? How long between when she first exhibited symptoms and when she died?

What do your chickens eat? Could they have a vitamin deficiency or be getting into something toxic?

It looks like the leghorn also had wry neck? How long between when she first exhibited symptoms and when she died?

What do your chickens eat? Could they have a vitamin deficiency or be getting into something toxic?
found her this morning looking like the black one and found the black one yesterday morning. It is quite possible that due to winter they have a lack of something in there diet but im not sure what it would be. There is nothing toxic around the coop or barn. I think that she must have curled her neck under while she died cuz she didnt have wry neck last i checked.

Do they eat formulated layer pellets or...? Noticed any diarrhea or funny droppings?

So the leghorn went from fine to paralyzed to dead within a day? I don't think you'd see such a fast progression with vitamin deficiency or a disease. It sounds most like botulism to me. I would check everywhere they have access to for rotting food/matter or old, stagnant water.

Were the symptoms seen in the vaccinated birds? Can you keep the body cold/refrigerated, but not frozen, and send it to Cornell for a necropsy? If you have had Mareks confirmed before, that may be what is going on. Mareks can last for months or years in the coop, since it is spread by dander and feather dust. Are you feeding a fresh layer or all flock feed? If not, it could be a vitamin b 2 deficiency. Sorry for your loss.

Do they eat formulated layer pellets or...? Noticed any diarrhea or funny droppings?

So the leghorn went from fine to paralyzed to dead within a day? I don't think you'd see such a fast progression with vitamin deficiency or a disease. It sounds most like botulism to me. I would check everywhere they have access to for rotting food/matter or old, stagnant water.

idk if you can see from the picture but what they eat is like crushed corn in this like, powder stuff. I think its like protein and other things. The gray one had diarrhea when i first brought her in because she had been drinking but not eating but that cleared up once she ate more and like i said, i'm trying to figure out how to remove the poop from her vent fluff. I would say its more green than normal but idk if that means anything.
there is one puddle in the yard but that is from the melting snow today.
1673659934647.png

Back
Top Bottom