Is the little roo gonna end up like his father?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moochie, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Melvin's two boys are fairly nice, but Trouble's boys are getting mean already. Trouble was a 1 year old barred rock rooster. Who flogged me several times and left scars on my leg! >:| After my mom finally believed me, after Trouble flogged her, we took him to an animal auction and he went for 8 bucks. Trouble flogged me for the stupidest reasons too. I just walk by him, flog. Or my foot goes in front of him, flog. I'm getting scratch one day for the chickens and he's right behind me, so when I turn around he flogs me! Gawd it hurt too! Glad we got rid of him, though we should have got rid of him right when he sparred my leg the first time. So that's Trouble's behaviour.
    We got Melvin shortly after getting rid of stupid Trouble. Melvin is a light sussex. He's not aggressive and he's younger than Trouble, so he got used to us. Melvin is a wee bit flighty though. About 3 months ago I put 5 eggs under a sweet broody and viola! Melvin's children.. So I thought..

Three are Melvin's, two are Trouble's. Melvin's boys like I said are well mannered, although I'm aware that may change when they hit puberty. And Melvin's daughter is good too.
    One of Trouble's boys looks just like him. Same coloring, yellow beak and legs, and brick red comb and wattles. I'm concerned about him. Especially since my mom wants to keep him =_='
    When I shovel in the yard with one of those things... Er looks like.. Handle, then the other end has a shovel and a claw (whats it called?).
    If he's right behind me he raises his necks feathers at the handle and pecks and starts to spar. He flogs the little birds that fly into my yard. What's worse is that all of them are killing the birds that fly into the yard, my mother and I have witnessed it. Kinda weird... They eat em' afterwards..
    So is this roo gonna end up like Trouble?

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    There's a good chance he will. Some bad behaviors are inherited.

3. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Oh nooo.
    Oh well...

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Moochie, sorry to say it, but "like begets like." One of many reasons overly aggressive roosters should not be used in breeding programs. [​IMG]

5. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    As far as killing the wild birds goes, some chickens do and some chickens don't. Mine don't. They must chase them though, as there are not so many that try to eat their food or leftovers on the ground. Last year when I had just a few chickens it seemed they lived in harmony, but now with nearly 50 chickens, the wild birds stay in the woods.
    If the little Trouble is showing his daddy's personality before testosterone poisoning, it will be worse when it hits. Unless you need him, I would cull him. Doesn't mean kill him if you want to rehome him, but there is no reason to be attacked by your rooster on a regular basis.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I have a little polish cockerel that chases the wild birds a little because those are the only ones he can push around LOL! His name? Trouble! a.k.a. "Weirdo"

7. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I had a barred rock rooster and I was going to be getting rid of him but instead something got him before I could take him to the auction to sell or throw him in my crock pot. I have 8 of his kids and they are all going into the freezer over the next few weeks. 5 this weekend then 2 in 3 or 4 weeks and then 1 more later on. Barred Rock roosters are very mean. Will not have any more again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by