Is the pea comb gene strong?

chickenmeadow

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Southern Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
This year my only Ameraucana rooster & group of hens produced 4 chicks; all chicks have pea combs. I've never mixed my breeds before & was wondering if the result will always be pea comb with this rooster breed or hit & miss? The hatch was from 2 Ameraucana blue eggs & 2 Black Australorp brown eggs (produced beautiful black cross chicks with pea combs instead of the hens straight comb). Just curious!
2018 broody hatch 4 at 4+wks.jpg

Last edited:
Following for promises of baby pics :love
2 of the 4 chicks in question came out with lovely muffs & beards (one is a black & white pullet & other is a black pullet). But, please excuse the fact that I'm aware that some hatcheries may sell Ameraucana chicks that may either be EE's or poor examples. I just love my flock & enjoy their great year-round laying.

I love this kind of genetic stuff, it's always so fun to see the outcomes. I don't know much about combs (all our breeds are single comb), but we had a single salmon faverolle hen who has many daughters, granddaughter and great granddaughters still living in our flock.
A lot of her children with the orpington rooster inherited the muffs, 5th toe and feathered legs, but not always. The chicks with the light sussex rooster did have the 5th toe (not always on both feet), sparsely feathered legs but didn't really have muffs as often

This year my only Ameraucana rooster & group of hens produced 4 chicks; all chicks have pea combs. I've never mixed my breeds before & was wondering if the result will always be pea comb with this rooster breed or hit & miss?
If he is pure Ameraucana all of his chicks will be Peak comb if crossed with Single Comb hens

I believe you have EE, not Ameraucana. The Pea comb is dominant over single comb. However, the pea combs from such a cross will not be as small and tight as they are with a Pea x Pea. At least that has been my outcome.

FYI, Pea x Rose = Walnut.

I'm not sure about the dominance of the beards and muffs common to EE/Ameraucana. It depends on whether they carry a recessive for smooth face. Me EE roo x Ameraucana with beard/muff produced at least some bearded chicks. I do not know the exact percentage cause I set eggs from my entire flock.
As for egg color in the chicks that hatched from the blue eggs: If the roo or the hen or both carry a recessive for brown egg, you will have a combination of Blue egg, green egg, and brown egg pullets from that match.

Thank you all for your replies! "Bear" (the little roo on the right in my pic above) sold to a good home yesterday where he'll grow up to be the only rooster over 14 pure Black Australorps. The other black pullet & 2 Ameraucana/EE pullets are already checking out their future nest boxes here.

My cool Ameraucana rooster "Buckbeak" (who sired these 4 chicks from different hens) does have small muffs & beard; was hatchery sold to me as an Ameraucana; so, for now he's an Ameraucana to me (with an EE possibility).

My current flock is for backyard fun, but someday soon I may get real serious again with a breeding project with Swedish Flower Hens. Years back, I only had Bantam Blue Salmon Faverolles & was real picky then about breed type. Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom