is the sex of a quail pre-determined or dependent on hatching conditions?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailswiss, Nov 1, 2013.

1. quailswiss

quailswiss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    I got 4 male and 1 female out of my first hatching attempt, plus two dead in the shell. Someone told me that this might be a result of conditions in my brooder. What do you think? what male/female ratios do you typically get at hatching?

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    If it were only that easy. Check out this link, the info is pretty interesting. If I only knew the temperature to change it to and when, then my freezer would be full.
    James
    Edited to add: Mark Ferguson, the professor mentioned in the above article, contributed to a book titled, "Egg incubation - it's effect on embryonic development in birds and reptiles".

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  3. quailswiss

quailswiss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Very interesting, thanks

4. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    That has explained a lot to me. My quail have all female hatches in the cooler months and in the hotter month have a majority of male hatches. So I think the article is correct. But after hatching I don't think changing a brooder temperature would do anything. These changes all happen within the shell during incubation.
    I am going to an experiment soon with my daughters incubator. I am going to incubate the eggs .3C of a degree colder to see if the eggs hatch out with more females.
    We are trying to track down some more eggs from different blood lines to incubate together.
    I will post back here when I have some results.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by