Is the size of muscovy caruncles genetic?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LaurelC, Jan 14, 2014.

1. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    I've gotta be honest, I am excited to get some muscovies, but I am not a fan of the really lumpy caruncles. Also, black vs red. Is there a way to ensure that you'll get ducklings with less "intense" caruncling and/or black vs red?

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I believe it is an age thing

3. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i have a 4 year old male he has a crazy big mask on him he is also my biggest boy my yonger one does not have that big of one but its still alot of red on his face and the females dont really have that big of a mask

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yes, it is. Some strains, have more some less. I have one female here who is on the minimal.

That is Lilly, unfortunately, i have never bred her, she has been a surrogate(that clutch behind her)

[​IMG]

My main drake i breed with is medium for fleshing, you see the heavier fleshing is desired in the show world. It is true females, have less overall.

I actually have a few of his sons from last year, different mums but they are continuing with the same medium fleshing, i am not sure who passes on the trait of the fleshing whether it be both or the drake or duck.

5. LaurelC

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    That makes sense. I suppose the best way to ensure you get less fleshy bits would be to select a drake for breeding that has less fleshing (as this is theoretically more indicative of what the resulting drakes will look like)?

Thanks!

6. creaturelife

Jun 10, 2013
    my drake babys didnt have much of a mask when the grew up then the mask got bigger as they grew older but i have a old drake i will always keep him i saw him breeding one of his girls today cant wait for eggs to show up in the duck coop i was going to ask does any one have there duck in a run and not free ranged cause i was think bout doing it for my broody scovy and mallard to rasie the babys so the hawks cant get them

7. LaurelC

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    Mine will be in a run 95% of the time, except when they are in the fenced yard free ranging while I'm outside. Seems like the most effective way to keep them safe.

8. creaturelife

Jun 10, 2013
    i have a run right next to the coop but i have my 2 potbellys in i need to move them as i can but its always to muddy or to cold i m going to try the run this year last year i hatched 6 little duckling and a dog came along and that was the end of that

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The fleshing will fill out and like anything clutches will vary with how the genetics play.. all one has to do is look at families and see how hair and eye colour will vary.

10. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    See that is where i am not sure, how the fleshing is dominate. Since Miss Lilly has never bred, i have been unable to see if any of her young would develop her minimal fleshing. I would probably aim for both duck and drake to have less, but as with anything, there could be underlying genetics that pop up too. Unless, your familiar in depth with the backgrounds of both birds.(ie; generations)

Just like with anything though, you can take a pair of breeding quality animals but not all young will be of the same standard. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by