Is the Squatting a Greeting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lovmyrodies, Oct 28, 2009.

1. lovmyrodies

lovmyrodies New Egg

Oct 28, 2009
    I have 2 pullets that squat down right at my feet as soon as I enter the pen. I pet them when they do this. Is this some kind of friendly greeting or something else?

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Umm....they're asking you to mate with them. [​IMG] Seriously though...that's how they tell the rooster they're willing to accept him.

3. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    They are being submissive. This is what they do to submit to the rooster. They will do this when they get close to laying. Just reach down and ruffle their back feathers a second and when you stop they will fluff up and walk off. It is completely normal. I just tell children that they just want to be petted. [​IMG]

oops kelly typed faster than me

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I had one pullet used to run up, peck on my boot, then squat. I think she was annoyed that I wasn't doing my duty by her! {laughing}

.....Alan.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i have one pen with very submissive ladies. They follow my shoes, very closely, and squat in front of them. i have near about killed myself tripping over them trying to get from one end of the pen to the other. It is pretty cute, though. [​IMG]

6. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    I tell mine that I'm just not their type... but they still do it anyway! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by