1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is their anything I can do instead of quarantine for new birds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3, Dec 18, 2011.

1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I really don't have a quarantine area. Don't think I can build one. [​IMG] Can I put the new birds in at night, and then treat the entire flock for whatever? [​IMG] If I can treat them, then with what? [​IMG] In case you can't tell I'm a little bit lost. [​IMG]

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Sorry, I am not sure, but you could maybe put them on antibiotics, the whole flock to help with anything that pops up? I would use LS50, in the water for 7 days.

3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    The point of quarantine is not to make new birds healthy before introducing them to your own....its to "weed out" sick birds before they introduce the sickness to your flock.

If don't have a place to quarantine I would not buy new birds, other than hatchery chicks or hatching eggs.

4. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 :

I really don't have a quarantine area. Don't think I can build one. [​IMG] Can I put the new birds in at night, and then treat the entire flock for whatever? [​IMG] If I can treat them, then with what? [​IMG] In case you can't tell I'm a little bit lost. [​IMG]

Everyone says to quarantine because there is REALLY bad stuff out there that could cause you to have to cull your whole flock. Then you would have to sanitize your coop like crazy and wait months before you could even start to think about owning chickens again.

It's really up to you. If that's a risk you're willing to take. [​IMG]

You wouldn't have to build a permanent quarantine pen. Could you use part of your garage? Do you have any dog pens?​

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I wouldn't do it. It could wipe out your whole flock. I guess you have to decide if it is worth it. It wasn't for me. I just bought birds at Ohio Nationals and they are still in quarantine. They have nothing wrong with them luckily. You may get lucky and no of the birds are sick. But what if..........

6. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I'am only getting 2 birds. My chickens are in the dog pen.

7. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
  8. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Ok I think I threw togeather something. I can put bowls in, and poor in food/ water. Put a tarp over it, and put a wind blocker on the fence side. [​IMG] Whatcha think. Will it work? How long do they have to be there?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 :

Ok I think I threw togeather something. I can put bowls in, and poor in food/ water. Put a tarp over it, and put a wind blocker on the fence side. [​IMG] Whatcha think. Will it work? How long do they have to be there?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/107523_hpim4268.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/107523_hpim4267.jpg

30 days. Looks you.are in a warmer state so you should be alright. The only problem I see is that a predator could get them.​

10. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    30 days!!! -+- thats a long time. I'am going to preadtor proof it when I get the chickens.
    Its gotting cold right now it was windy today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by