is their anyway to get around having chickens in a zoned area

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by mycountrycabin, Jul 27, 2008.

1. mycountrycabin

mycountrycabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    i live about 3 miles from the city and i recieved a letter that basically says i have to get rid of my chickens because i live in zone R12 and i will receice a find if i dont get rid of them is their anyway to get around it???

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. AuntieRoo

AuntieRoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Idon't have chickens yet but I am dealing with a similar situation. I'm 7 miles outside of the city and my county has restrictions that do not allow farm animals on property under 70000 sq ft. Fortunately for me, several of the forum members took a look at my county code and Karlachix found a loophole that makes exception for 4H projects. Needless to say, I am applying to become a 4H leader.

Maybe you can tell the forum what county you live in so that others can take a look at your code too?

I never knew that county codes were so restrictive! We moved to the county for more freedom and then found out that if we lived in our city that we could have all the chickens we want no matter how small our lot was. Rediculous!

Good luck with your chickens!

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It basically comes down to getting the laws changed or trying to hide the chickens.

4. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is a good point - local laws of this type can be pretty quirky, and living in a rural area does not at all mean you can have chickens.

Each community is unique when it comes to local law.

~Phyllis

5. mycountrycabin

mycountrycabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    i live in richmond county NC 28379
    and the wierd thing is that i dont have to get rid of the pen ,just the chickens

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You might also check your state/provincial laws to see if there is a law that supercedes a local law, such as a right-to-farm bill...

7. AuntieRoo

AuntieRoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    I tried to find your county zoning laws online but came up empty. Maybe someone else will have more luck locating them if they are posted online and give them a look. Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by