1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is their coop TOO tall?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dixiedoodle, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I haven't seen this problem before so I thought I would ask! I have 11 beautiful true Ameraucanas that are about 9weeks old.. They lived in their coop (that is 4' off the ground) for almost 6 weeks.. Finally, we got the run finished and each day I let them out...It's been a week and they still will NOT go in their at night by themselves! They will circle the coop, looking up and then they huddle in the corner of the run and wait on momma to come and put them to bed! I have a 'ladder' up to the coop w/ cleats for them to walk on.. They CAN and DO get into the coop during the day.. I have seen them up their cking out the feeder...even tho they have food and water on the ground level!

So, should I cut the legs off their coop to lower it.?. I wanted it high enough predators could reach the bottom /sides easily..so far so good..

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Their probably not used to it. You might have to leave them closed in the new coop for a few days till they get used to it!! [​IMG]

Missi

3. BYC_In_Long_Beach

BYC_In_Long_Beach Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Sprinkle their favorite treats on the ladder leading up to the coop. It worked for me!

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ditto. When we finally got moved into the coop/run, I had to show them how to climb the ramp up to the roost. I started out picking them up and setting on the roost. They freaked out and flew down.

So I took some of their feed and put on the ramp. It took just two or so birds a lil bit to start from the bottom eating their way up the ramp and once they reached the top they easily moved to the roosts. After the others saw what they did, they wanted up on the roost, too, so they started climbing the ramp [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Whenever I put chickens into a new coop (or new to them coop), I lock them in for about a week. That "sets" it into their little feathered heads that "this is where we live" and "this is where we are safe at night."

Then I let them out. They go back in at dusk all on their own.

6. andbab

andbab Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe if there was a light on in the coop they would go in. Maybe it gets dark too quick for them to realize that is where they are supposed to be.

7. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Thanks everyone!

They had been in the coop for almost 6weeks w/out being let out! We just built the run around their coop and let them out! I tried a small flashlight in the coop two nights in a row..they didn't seem to see it! I will try the food on the ramp tomorrow night..

8. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    My coop is raised and the pop door opening is fairly high off the ground. It took them a bit but they figured out where they needed to go up the steep ramp after a few tries. I did as previous posters mentioned by keeping them locked up for a week and I have a light on in the coop. As it gets darker, the coop opening will be brighter and they figure out that that's where they need to be.

I did the same for the chukar and now he trots in shortly after the girls.

If you have a high demand treat handy, you can waive it about and lead them up the ramp into the coop.

9. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    Try no feed or water outside which will force them to go inside. Alittle feed on the ramp should also help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by