Is there a bird that will hatch out Chinese Button Quail? Incubator is not working very well.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Linda1308Sey, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Linda1308Sey

Linda1308Sey Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2013
    Is there a bird that will hatch out Chinese Button Quail? Incubator is not working very well. I have a Chinese Button Quail that is setting....but I have read that the rooster will often kill the chicks. Is there a type of bird that could set and hatch out the little quail?

[email protected]

2. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    I've heard of people using bantams to hatch out quail eggs, although bantams are also big enough to squish the eggs and the babies once the big mama starts walking if the babies aren't taken out quickly after drying. There are some videos off youtube with a bantam hen hatching out coturnix chicks (a little big bigger than buttons).

People have also used brooding doves, or so I've heard. Not sure if that's been successful, but using broody bantams has.

3. Linda1308Sey

Linda1308Sey Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2013
    Thank you! Do you know of any source for egg cartons small enough for Chinese Button quail eggs?

4. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Well, in an Asian grocery they sold these quail eggs in nice little cartons fit for coturnix quail eggs, but should be able to support button eggs as well, so I'd suggest looking around supermarkets for fresh quail eggs and see if they come in cartons which you could use, and you'll also get bonus eggs to eat, haha.

I also found this:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/clear-quail-egg-carton-10-egg-100-pk
    Which sell quail egg cartons by themselves.
    Also good for button quail eggs.

5. alije

alije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Slovenia
    few years ago my bantam sebright hen successfully hatch out button quail eggs,
    together with some Japanese quail

6. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Just have a brooder handy and ready, meaning heated and set for chicks. The males do sometimes attack the chicks but this is rare if he has shared incubating. What is rarer is the hen incubating her own eggs to hatch, most give up in anywhere from 7-10 days even more. All I can say is to watch the adults when the chicks are suppose to hatch and scoop up the chicks if they start hurting them. Good luck and keep us posted.

As for the incubator not work well, what is the trouble, not holding the temp or what? I do not know of any other bird that is small enough to incubate for you.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  7. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    GrandmaBird you are totally correct.
    Linda,
    I have been breeding king/button/chinese painted quail for years. All but one male made great fathers and protected the chicks and taught them how to feed etc.
    Let the mother bird hatch the eggs and see what happens.
    The father may peck at them at first, but stop later as he has figured out that their his babies. I have had this happen a couple times, but most males are fantastic fathers, given the chance.
    Also, in most cases, it is better to let them raise their own chicks because they are automatically accepted into the flock or colony. If you incubate and try to introduce adult birds to their flock, they can attack and hurt the new ones.
    I incubate and let them sit and raise their own.
    If you are going to introduce new ones to their area, do so when the chicks are still fairly young. I do this when they just get their body feathers and introduce more than one at a time, so they have back up and support from the others.
    Don't wait till the male colors have come out to introduce, because the male will feel they are a threat on his territory and can attack and kill the other bird. Males will attack other males more than females.
    Watch them carefully for about a day to make sure they settle in and if any attacks happen take them out and this is when you will have to house them elsewhere.
    I am lucky my male at the moment accepts any new birds.
    I hope you get some babies soon and everything works out.
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by