Is there a candle making thread here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by chickmchickie, Aug 9, 2011.

1. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    I have searched candles and didn't find any, if not i wound love to start one.. can i?

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I haven't seen any.. and sure.. no reason why you can't start one

3. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I make soy candles and tarts.

4. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

I haven't made candles in years. [​IMG]

5. Hopper

Hopper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Ionia
    would love to know how to make soy candles?[​IMG]

6. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    Oh manking soy candles is so super easy.. just got your self some soy base.. i use two different kinds, one is for pillars and the other is for tarts and containers.. i use the eco soy advance and the eco soy pillar.. They are hold the scent great.. you can use with them the hemp or cotton wicks, i use cotton cause i like mine being eco friendly .

I just ordered some more glass jars in for my Sweet Treats Jar candles..

As an example. the jar is filled 2/3 with reddish soy wax.. then topped off with white whipped wax to look like frosting or cool whip, then i did strawberries in beds and placed them on top of the whipped soap and i have a wafer cookie mold and made that to look like the color of spring cakes or the strawberry short cake cakes thingies.. and stuck that in there too.. I will post a photo once my glass jars come next week.. They look really cool..

I also did a blue berry one, with wax blueberries on top and i used stars to look like crust color , i calling it blue berry cobbler..

here are my labels for them..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  7. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    Quote:Yeah i just like soy.. even m soaps and lotions i make i use soy too..

what are your fav scents? do you use FO or EO for scents?

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Well this seems to be the official candle making thread on BYC.

I have some questions about what kind of wicks should I use? I have made soy candles, and also melted down the leftover wax from a large variety of bought candles. I hate to waste the left wax, so I recycle it.

I also would like more information on using scent in the candles. I am certain that I didn't use enough scent last time.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I would love to try to make candles by the old fashioned way....dipping or pouring into molds like they did back in the Lincoln's days. I know it is going to be hours of dipping!

10. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    Quote:Each wick depends on what type of wax your using.. and also how big around is the jar or pillar? 1 oz per pound of wax is a good rate to use..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by