Is there a chance any of these 6 week old Liege Fighters is a pullet?

Mos

Chirping
Jul 15, 2019
So my babies are now 6 weeks, and while I was quite hopeful in the beginning that at least a couple of them could be pullets, it feels like my hopes are now diminishing every day.
I've been quite certain for a while that 1, 2 and 3 must be cockerels, they've always been the biggest, have big stocky legs and would never wanna miss out on the fun whenever any chest bumping is going on. 4 and 5 however have always been a bit smaller, especially 4 have always been quite a lot smaller, and I've been holding on to hope that these two might be pullets. But the more I look at them the more they start to look like cockerels to me.. I hope I might just be starting to hallucinate from staring at them so much, but I guess it might also be that the universe thought that 5 cockerels would be an excellent start to my backyard flock.. :hmm:barnie

IMG_8321.JPG

IMG_8499.JPG

IMG_8553.JPG

IMG_8304.JPG

IMG_8606.JPG

IMG_8611.JPG

IMG_8434.JPG

IMG_8412.JPG

IMG_8427.JPG

IMG_8456.JPG

IMG_8472.JPG

IMG_8288.JPG

IMG_8595.JPG

IMG_8593.JPG

IMG_8484.JPG

IMG_8485.JPG

A few pictures of them together.

nummer.jpg

nummer1.jpg

nummer2.jpg

nummer3.jpg

As you can see in the last picture, 4 is a lot smaller than the others. Could this be a sign it's a pullet? Since Liege roosters are so much larger than the hens, maybe the size difference could be noticeable in chicks as well? :fl Or is it just a small cockerel? :confused:

I don't even care that I won't get any eggs if they all turn out to be roosters, I'll just be devastated that I won't be able to keep all of my beautiful babies because of the annoying little detail that roosters usually don't wanna be best buddies after a while.. :hit

I know it's too early to say for sure, but do you think there's still a chance 4 or 5 might be pullets? Or maybe even 1, 2 or 3 if my assumption has been completely wrong?
Or would I be better off just putting away the list of potential female names? :caf

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
It can be hard to tell. Your birds look like pullets to me. I'm not seeing red combs. But some birds are late bloomers.
I have birds with obvious signs as young as three weeks old, and then I have some that took months to identify the sex.
Give it time to be sure. Hopefully you have yourself a lovely group of gals.

Mos

Chirping
Jul 15, 2019
Ohhh you've made my day!! :celebrateOf course I'll wait a few more weeks before I get too comfortable with the thought of them being pullets, but just that you think that all of them might be pullets instead of just the initial two I was on the fence about is so damn amazing to hear. I'll hold on to the female name list!! :yesss:

Gray Farms

Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock
5 Years
Apr 11, 2016
NW Missouri
I don't see any obvious cockerels as of now. 6 weeks is still kind of young, especially in non-single combed game breeds. The heavy built legs is a breed trait and shows in both sexes. Naturally mature males will have heavier legs than mature females but that a ways off yet. I wouldn't put much stock in it right now as far as trying to sex them by their leg build.

Top Bottom