Is there a chance my coturnix hen will go broody?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SeptemberQuail, Oct 11, 2012.

1. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Backstory

It was cloudy and I knew going to rain today, and so I thought my quail might get cold as they live outside. So I got some home-made hay (just dried up grass, it still works xD) and placed more inside their little enclosure in a partial clump.
    As it started to rain during the afternoon, I decided to go check on them, I saw both the females kicking, fiddling and sitting on the hay, I was first off confused as they both spent quite a while there whilst the male would just carry on eating.

I came back during the evening to check on them again, and noticed the hay was in a more 'formed' shape, kinda like a not-so-well made nest (mainly because the grass isn't as dry as it used to be for some reason and is hard to build with), Then my fatter female just started to sit on the hay whilst the other one would just annoy it by climbing over it and looking around. The fatter female was all 'poof' and just stayed like that for a few seconds, until I realized she was laying an egg. After laying the egg, she spent a few moments looking at it, before walking off to eat; The other female (hasn't laid any eggs yet) would from time to time come over to the nest and fix it up a bit (which I thought was very nice of her :3), but no one was sitting on the egg though throughout the whole time.

At that moment, I rushed inside and grabbed the egg she (one who laid it today) laid for me yesterday and put it in the nest whilst it was unoccupied. After observing the other female, she pushed the egg closer to the other egg then again fix the nest up. The one who laid the eggs completely ignored it today but from time to time, both of them would check out the nest, fix it a tad, sometimes step on the egg I put down whilst checking the other egg, then walking away.

--

So; Now I'm wondering, if the fat hen keeps laying a few more eggs, do you think by the time she's laid a few more, she might go broody? Because they both spent quite a while fixing up the hay to make a bed/nest thing. Also, I've seen the male mount her several times, so the eggs are hopefully fertile. [​IMG]

I'm not going to bother the quails anymore for a while and just observe them for a bit and see how it goes.

[[I'll try and upload some pics later of the two females and the eggs]] [​IMG]

2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    I have had a coturnix hatch brood and hatch her own chicks so it is possible, that said it is not very common for them to do this and they don't often go broody but the signs with yours are there, the trick is to make their environment as natural as possible for them and also secluded and dark so they can brood in peace, my broody was a rosetta hen that started sitting in a hutch that was kept in an outdoor pen with other quail I ended up having to shut her in there with food and water as I found the other quail messed up her nest too much when she got off to eat and distracted her so if you notice the one hen brooding I would suggest you separate her from the others but do not move the location just stop them getting to her eggs take about 18 days to hatch and the young are very small and fragile.

3. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Oh, that's excellent! I really hope she goes broody and hatches the little chicks.
    Right now she's just from time to time fixing her nest (along with her female friend) and checking the eggs. So, should I just leave the male and other female in their for the time being until she actually goes broody?

As for right now, all I see the male do is eat, mount her, drink, annoy the other quail, then possibly mount her again. Also, since the nest is made on the grass and it's been cold and rainy lately (even though it's spring for me :p), should I build a little box for her and move the nest in there (to elevate her off the ground)? Will she still accept it?

But many thanks for your information! I am quite excited! (This is my first time actually seeing a bird make a nest and prepare her eggs! Last time my chickens laid eggs and went broody and had chicks.... I was really young that time and had no interest in them and only saw them for about a minute or more, then they grew up and I never saw them again. [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by