1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there a deadline to when a hen should go broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wconstantine, Aug 9, 2013.

1. wconstantine

wconstantine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    Hampton, New York
    I have a Silkie that I believe just went broody today. I am curious as to if there is a "season" so to speak for broodiness and if so is this late in the season for a New England hen?

The weather will start getting colder and I'm just hoping hatchlings would be okay.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hens will go broody at any time of year; the season doesn't really matter. However, they usually go broody in spring and summer.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Silkies are notorious for being permanently broody. Lots of other breeds will only be broody in spring or summer.

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Yep mine has been broody dead of winter so anytime. We aren't using her to hatch though.

5. wconstantine

Mar 6, 2013
    Hampton, New York
    So if we have her hatch a clutch, 21 days from yesterday puts the hatch date for August 29th will the young be okay as the weather will be cooler?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yes. It's actually probably better weather than the broodys that hit very, very early spring. I've had chicks hatch in blustery, rainy March do quite well with a good broody momma. Just be sure they're dry and not in the wind, and she'll do her thing!

7. wconstantine

Mar 6, 2013
    Hampton, New York
    Awesome! And then after they hatch is there a rule of thumb when you can return momma and babies to the flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by