1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there a demand for proven sexlink eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Celtic Hill, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    So guys i was wondering if there is a demand on here for proven sexlink eggs? (i.e. Tested and results were true) I see alot of pure bred and mutt breeds but rarely any sexlink eggs.

2. alanb

alanb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    [​IMG] CELTIC ; Please excuse my Ignorance , BUT what is special about the sex-link EGG ? .. aside from the male chick being White .... Advise , e-mail me please , Thankyou ...... , ALANB.

3. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    ( I PMed you)

and to answer the question for other people to see this is what i said; Well if someone is a small hobby farmer who wants birds for egg production they can hatch the eggs keep the pullets and cull the cockerels, or sell them earlier on so they don't waste the money while waiting for them to mature to tell their gender.

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I would probably be interested, if they were good layers. That way you can sell the males or put them on broiler feed, away from the hens. Sounds like a good idea to me. [​IMG]

5. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:Well that's what it thought, there must be people out there who want to hatch their own eggs and only keep the poullets. There are other things you can do with the cockerells, you could keep them for meet and put them on the proper food, cull them at hatch, sell them sooner (less food costs)

6. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Wow, if there was a way to tell the gender of an egg you'd be rich.

7. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    You mean eggs from which sex-linked chickens will hatch? I guess there's a demand, there's always a demand for chickens, but it's not like this is anything new and groundbreaking.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I honestly doubt it. If you really consider - Most people who order hatching eggs do it because they like chickens for more than just egg production. People who want sex links want simply egg production, and don't even care to breed their chickens, so they'll just order chicks. Because after the payment for the incubator, eggs, and so on - You're not getting offspring from your new chicks that will do the same that you got from your seller. So, as an average chicken owner would ask, why bother pay the extra and wait the extra for something you'll need to get each year or each other year, and can get in chick form for cheaper anyway? [​IMG]

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Well technically, sexlinks are "mutts" since they don't breed true after that first generation. The first generation is when you get the sex-linkage, but if you breed a sex-link to another sex-link, there is no telling what you will get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by