Is there a difference between RIR and Production Reds

Yes..... Production Reds are bred for egg laying power and NOT to adhere to any breed standard.... at least that is my understanding.

Yes, there is a difference. I know some say that hatchery RIRs are production reds, but some hatcheries sell both as separate breeds. I have had hatchery RIRs (one is quite dark, though small bodied) and breeder/show quality RIRs and they are quite different. Breeder RIRs are much larger birds, the hens are Amazon-women, LOL. And the deep dark cherry/mahogany color of them is beautiful.

andturkeys008.jpg

farmanimals024.jpg

First roo is the dark mahogany color with a flat back.
2nd is more the normal roo you get in the rhode island reds...

The brick body of the RIR is most preferred while the Production red's color is more lean almost like Leghorn shape. You can tell with Production Reds that their color is more washed out than the mahogany colors of the old RIRs type. Its a pity that hatcheries sell RIRs and they would give you production reds.

Actually I was told it was a production red pullet. I was researching about the breed and possible rooster indications and the site gave more information on RIR than on PR.

Now my pullets the store labled as black Austrolorps look nothing like the breed with a lot of red/brown baring on the breast and wings. I was a little upset about being lied to. I also want to get a EE but the store has them labled as Ameracaunas. I think they are going to be EE so thats ok. I looking at pets and eggs for my goal not breeding. No biggy

Yeah I hope all my Roos are awful because I live in a city that allows NO chickens at all. I can't endanger all my hens for a noise roo even a gent. So let's all hope for a mean roos and sweet hens.

Back
Top Bottom