Is there a difference between Standard Cochin and Giant Cochins?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crazy huhn, Dec 7, 2008.

1. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    I love Cochins and I am wondering if there is an "official" difference between the Standard Cochin size and the Giant Cochin? There is a breeder on ebay offering Giant Cochin hatching eggs (refering to the Cochin size, not the egg size).

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    nope..not a difference at all.

Standard can mean Giant as well as bantam is banty and shorties.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We raise Standard cochins, and they are giant balls of feathers! Some people call them giants and some call them standard but they are one in the same.

4. crazy huhn

May 24, 2008
    Thanks a lot. I almost fell for it. Not that I would have any more room.....lol.........

5. MandyH

Don't fool with ebay, if you need eggs I got them!!! My Blue, Black, splash hens are laying up a storm right now. My partridge ones are a bit tempermental.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have Giant cochins from a friend and they are HUGE. Nothing like the standards from the hatchery. And very fluffy too.

7. crazy huhn

May 24, 2008
    Quote:Kristen H, I know, what I have posted a little further up...., but hey, maybe I can make some room during spring....My thought was, if the girls go broody next year, maybe I can get some eggs to put under them as I just had to give my cockerel away 2 weeks ago, because he crowed at 3 AM and my neighbors got cranky....Do you have photos of your flock or a webpage? Yikes, just got over a flu virus, but the Cochin virus is coming back....over and over again......

8. MandyH

9. crazy huhn

May 24, 2008
    Kristen, I will PM you....

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    If you look at a hatchery standard or "giant" cochin, it is dwarfed by an exhibition LF cochin.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by