Is There A Difference???......help Please!!!!

goldies99

Songster
Jul 22, 2011
i am wondering if there is a difference between a rhode island red and a production rhode island red chicken ????
or are they the same thing???......thanks for the help!

from what ive read the only true difference is the color of red that they are? and maybe something to do with one is hatchery quality while the other is show

YES, there is a BIG diff. in them...
The true Rhode Island Reds are a beautiful deep drak mahogany red, you can only get these from breeder..
Any thing that you get from the hatchery would be a production red...
They both lay brown eggs and would be ok for meat...

Last edited:
These are my RIR's I got from a breeder.
95507_sl384254.jpg

Quote:
Production Reds -
There are two true types of true "Production Red" one is a R.I. Red bred solely for egg production and selectively bred solely from the R.I. Red. These birds tend to have some black in there tail and some ticking in there hackles.
The other type of "Production Red" is a cross and the result of R.I. Red with Leghorn blood added. These birds tend to be lighter in color and may have some white in there tail.
Some Hatcheries clam that there R.I. Red /New Hampshire cross is a Production Red but this cross to me is not a true Production Red because the New Hampshire as a breed was bred solely from the
R.I. Red for a more meat type fowl not egg production.

(Not my bird)
Production Red
33115_rhodeislandred.jpg

Here are some of my Rhode Island Reds

Rose Comb Hen
33115_red_hen_-_iii.jpg

Rose Comb Rooster
33115_copper-b-iii.jpg

Single Comb Rooster
33115_dsc_0906.jpg

Chris

sorry to interupt the thread but I have a RIR I think! they said it was... but the picture of the group of RIR at the top of this threead have almost a lacing pattern mine hen looks like the one Chris posted only a straight comb,,,she is burgandy not burnt orange..

Back
Top Bottom