1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there a difference Layer pellets and Poultry pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joebwe25, Jul 30, 2007.

1. joebwe25

joebwe25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Is there a difference between Layer pellets and poultry pellets?
    I would like to know.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  2. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    All I can tell you is check the ingredients on the bag- you are looking for the protein content etc. You can search layer pellets on here and find out what protein amount is needed. Sorry I can't help more, mine aren't on layer feed yet.

3. joebwe25

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    But what is layer feed?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Layer feed is for hens that are producing eggs. It contains the right amt of protein and a higher amt of calcium than an all-purpose poultry feed does. You would not give layer feed to pullets that are not yet laying eggs because the excess calcium would damage their bones and other things. Does this explain it well enough? You can feed hens regular poultry feed if you put out oyster shell, which contains calcium they need.

5. joebwe25

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Well I'd still like to know what poultry pellets are.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry, joe, I've never seen anything by that name, but it sounds like it could be the all-purpose feed I told you about. If you could tell us the brand, such as Purina or Southern States, maybe we could help you better.

7. joebwe25

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    I'll get the info when we go to the feed store today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by