Is there a disease issue with raising quail on the same property

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BayouPoules, Nov 5, 2010.

1. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there a disease issue with raising quail on the same property as chickens. They would have their own brooder and cages. My DD wants to raise some Buttons and I thought I had read there might be a problem,,..
    Quail would be new to us,..
    Any info would be appreciated!
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Some have a problem, and are adament that they be kept separate. but for me, in a 20x24 barn, I had horses, chickens, quail, ducks and rabbit all living together for three years--not one problem.

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:the problem with quail exposed to close proxcimity( sp.?) to chickens is that chickens can be carriers of illnesses that quail will die from.
    that said, Buttons are kept inside in 1m to 1f pairs ..whereas chickens are outside.. so i would imagine that as long as you didn't handle your Buttons without disinfecting your hands & etc. there 'd be no issues....

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
  5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Provided They Do Not Mix With Or Live Within Close (adjoining Pens) And Biosecurity Is Observed You Should Have No Problems. Mix Them, Or Cross Contaminate Them Then Yes Disease Can Certainly Be A Very Ugly Issue

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Button quail should be housed indoors in pairs (kudos mhwc56!) so you shouldn't have a problem housing them on the same property. [​IMG] JJ is right though, you need to practice bio-security measures as chickens can be carriers for some ugly diseases.

7. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you all very much for your time,.. that is exactly what I needed to know and we will take the advise and keep them on opposite sides of the property and we do and will continue our Biosecurity regimen.
    [​IMG]

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by