Is there a disease makes chicks toe nails and toes fall off?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by appps, Sep 4, 2012.

1. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Have had one chicks toe amputated as it had half dropped off and was black and another chick is missing three toenails.

Is there a disease that could explain this?

Not from cold have never slept outside and quite warm of a day.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  2. Eggasperated

Eggasperated New Egg

Sep 4, 2012
    UK
    Did the vet who amputated, not give you any reason as to why this has happened?

3. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I dont think she knew a lot about chickens to be honest.

She did say it almost looked like it had had something tied round it a bit like how a lambs tail falls off because of the way it just ended then the black bit was hanging on. But its not had anything that we noticed when the kids were holding them.

It also doesnt explain why the other chicks lost so many toe nails. I will try and remember to take a photo in the morning but his toes sort of end the same, just rounded at the ends instead of an end with a nail.

They had poop in a round hard ball on a couple of them's toes that we had to soak to get off but that is the only thing we noticed about their feet in that first week we had them.

4. KathyR

KathyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Tully, NY
    Is there any chance they have leg mites? They can lose toes from them.

5. Eggasperated

Eggasperated New Egg

Sep 4, 2012
    UK
    Have a look at their nails .. Do they seem too long?

What can happen is that they can scoot around and damage them, and sometimes they break them causing them to twist and then lose circulation, and they fall off.

They might need trimming (use a dog nail clipper), but be very careful, just cut a bit at a time as you don't want to make them bleed.

Also, are your chicks all from the same clutch .. Wondering if it could be something genetic?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are they living in heavily soiled litter? That will do it. Poop balls usually means their bedding is not clean enough. Heavy ammonia and wet conditions will cause foot problems.

Did you notice if they ever even had toenails? Some are hatched without them. I've had nail-less chickens. One of my first ever hens was missing both middle toenails-she never had any.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My Delaware and two of her offspring had two missing nails on the middle digits.

8. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Here are some photos. I think you can view larger by clicking on them.

This is Penny, the one that has lost the toe. It went all black and mostly dropped off then the vet just took off the last little dead bit. She said it was super close to the bone.
    Its still very swollen but she is on antibiotics Just noticing the same toe on the opposite side looks like its going to do the same thing as there is no nail there either.
    [​IMG]

This is Alfie
    [​IMG]

And this is Captain. I am going to have to soak her toes or something as I couldnt get that hard brown lump on the toe nail sticking out the right off.
    [​IMG]

The fourth one is perfectly fine.

The two frizzles are from one set of parents, the sikie (first photo) and the one that is okay from another.

This was when they first got out of bed :) They are in a covered large birdcage with newspaper and paper towel on the floor and a heat lamp next to it of a night. The paper is being changed 2-3 times a day.

During the day when we are at home we put them outside in a little chook pen we bought on grass. It doesnt look very secure so Im not trusting it when Im not home.

They are 5-6 weeks old and we have had them a week and a half.

They were kept in a laundry on a tarp the day we picked them up. It was ready for a clean but I wouldnt think it was more than a normal days mess considering how many chicks were in there. They definately weren't on wet icky ground or anything.

Help! Worried we are going to loose even more toes!

9. Eggasperated

Eggasperated New Egg

Sep 4, 2012
    UK
    I definitely remember reading an article on the internet about Frizzles being pre-disposed to this problem ... Ive tried to find it for you, but sorry, it seems to have disappeared into thin air.

RingAroundTheRosie likes this.
  10. bockchickas

bockchickas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2015
    HI! I see this post is from a few years ago, but I have a chicken with the exact same thing!!! Did you ever find out what it was? Did the toenails grow back?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by