Is there a doctor in the house?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Corey NC, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. Corey NC

    Corey NC Songster

    Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Ok I have some sort of skin irratation on my fingers. It first started on one finger then it seemed to spread to a finger on the other hand and now it is creeping to another finger.

    I am pretty sure I know why its happening. I work as a groom in a barn so my hands are constantly dirty while i'm there (5 days a week). so would this be considered a bacterial incfection or something?

    My fingers are red and inflamed and kind of flaky. They both hurt and itch. I have had bandades on them with Antibacterial ointment on them but it doesn't seem to do much accept soften the fingers and stop the flakyness. I have also tried Lamosil (for fungus) and it hasn't done anything either.

    I can provide pictures if needed. Let me know you need anymore info.
  2. silkiechicken

    silkiechicken Staff PhD

    I'm no doctor but I do have exema and it is a pain with itching, inflammation, and tiny bits of infections here and there. No idea what you have there but I say you should go see your family doctor and if they don't know what it is, get a referal to a dermatologist, since it is spreading. As long as nothing is necrotic, your skin won't have to be removed.
  3. Corey NC

    Corey NC Songster

    Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Let me add that on the fingers it is only from around the nail to halfway past the nuckle nearest the nail.

    If it doesn't clear up by next week I am gonna go see someone but I thought I'd see if some one knows what it is here for free.
  4. DuckLady

    DuckLady Administrator

    Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    No one here should ever be a substitute for medical care. Talk to your parents. You should go see your own physician!
  5. Royicus

    Royicus Songster

    Jul 21, 2007
    Western Oregon
    Quote:That's my silkiechicken!

    A doctor wouldn't diagnose your condition over the internet, nor over the phone, but rather with a physical examination. They could get an idea with a picture, perhaps, but tests have to be run and whatnot.

    I'd definately go in and get that looked at if it persists through the weekend. Till then, try and keep them nice and clean.
  6. Corey NC

    Corey NC Songster

    Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Ok [​IMG]
  7. Wildsky

    Wildsky Wild Egg!

    Oct 13, 2007
    Have you just recently started working there - at the barn?
    Think back to when the rash started, and figure out what changed, might be nothing at the barn, might be something in your home.

    Good luck! I hope it gets better soon
  8. hencackle

    hencackle Songster

    Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Other possibilities are contact dermatitis or eczema. Check the labels on the products you are using in the barn and see if it mentions anything regarding prolonged contact with skin. Since Lamisil and antibacterial ointments aren't helping your condition, it seems that you don't have a fungus or bacterial infection.

    Can you wear gloves?

    Are you experiencing more stress lately? Believe it or not, emotions can play havoc with skin. My DH has psoriasis on his hands which worsens during stressful periods.
  9. WoodlandWoman

    WoodlandWoman Crowing

    May 8, 2007
    Hencackle, I was wondering about contact dermatitis, also. It would be good to write down all the different things your hands are exposed to and anything that is used on the horses. You could just be sensitive to something in one of those products. Then I would see your doctor.
  10. Corey NC

    Corey NC Songster

    Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Well, I went to the Doctor and he said what I have is a type of eczema, he gave me a an ointment for me and it has already started to help. Thank you all for you advice. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: