Is There A Forum Just For Organic Eggs?

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Uncle Marc, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Uncle Marc

Uncle Marc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky
    Since we want to raise chickens to produce "organic eggs" we wondered if enough people were interested in all the "ins and outs" of this endeavor to create a separate forum topic.

There's a lot of good info we are getting from this website and this Forum, but trying to find stuff strictly about "organic" issues is a bit difficult since they are buried in a lot of other places.

Just a thought. I'm a newbie here, but, a separate forum topic in the Index sure would be nice.

2. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Define Organic?

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    The FDA's definition for "organinic" is much more lax than some of the BYC folks' definition. There are a number of good threads out there---what are you looking for specifically? I can point them out to you---

My concern with giving it it's own index forum is that the topic is too general. It would have to include food, housing, diseases, treatment, breeding, etc-----all of those topics are already categorized elsewhere.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yeah, a definition for your term Organic would help, but you can always create a topic strictly on Organic eggs. You'd be surprised how many people feed their poultry strictly organic feed. A topic devoted to it would help; we don't need a whole section/forum for it IMO.

5. Uncle Marc

Uncle Marc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky
    I wasn't sure what "organic" meant either, although Harriet has been purchasing organic eggs for our table for a year or so.

We were impressed by the marketing trends for organic eggs and so looked into the whole situation.

When it came to finding a definition here is what we found. In order for eggs to bear an "organic" label they must meet certain requirements and be inspected and certified. Below is just part of the USDA requirements.

USDA defines organic production as a system that integrates “cultural,
    biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources,
    promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity” (USDA, AMS,
    2000). Livestock can play an important role in achieving some of these principle
    aims of organic farming. Organic meat, poultry, and eggs are made
    from animals raised under organic management and must meet USDA’s
    comprehensive set of requirements for animal health and nutrition (USDA,
    AMS, 2000). Organic farming is also subject to mandatory third-party certification
    from a USDA-accredited program.

USDA’s organic requirements cover every aspect of poultry and egg production.
    Organic poultry cannot be given growth-producing hormones (which
    are prohibited in conventional systems as well) or antibiotics. The animals
    may receive preventive medical care, such as vaccines, and dietary supplements
    of vitamins and minerals. They must be fed certified organic feed,
    free of animal byproducts, or feed on certified organic pasture if raised on a
    pastured system. Organic poultry and eggs must be processed in plants that
    are certified to process organic poultry and eggs.

All organically raised herds
    and flocks must be raised separate from conventionally raised birds. Poultry
    must be under continuous organic management from the second day of life;
    some farmers purchase chicks from a certified organic hatchery while others
    begin raising the chicks organically when they arrive on the farm. Producers
    must provide living conditions that accommodate the health and natural
    behavior of the animals. Animals must have access to the outdoors, shade,
    exercise areas, fresh air, and direct sunlight suitable to their species and
    stage of production, but minimum levels of access have not been set. For
    poultry, indoor confinement must be temporary and justified due to weather,
    stage of production, health and safety of animal, and risks to soil or water
    quality. Growers are not allowed to cage organic poultry.

USDA

I'm not a big fan of government intrusion onto my farm, but there is a huge premium in price for organic eggs. They sell at the farm level for about $5 per dozen. That might help with the costs of raising them.

Maybe there isn't enough interest to gather all of the "organic" issues under one topic. It was just a thought.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by