is there a frizzle thread?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hdowden, Oct 11, 2011.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looked for them in the sticky up top but didnt see them. i'm looking for one for bantam sized frizzles

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:what breed frizzle are u looking for frizzle is gene not a breed

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    just bantam sized havent really settled on a breed yet but i really like feathers on the feet and legs like my d'uccle. do d'uccles come in frizzle?

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cochins commonly come in frizzled form. They've got feathered legs.

6. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    rember if ur going breed frizzle ur u have like smooth feather bird in the breed to sence u have breed frizzle to non frizzle

7. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i want a frizzled d'uccle...do they come in frizzel form? so far i havent seen any pics of them that way also a slikied d'uccle. to get the dfrizzle effect you have breed a frizzle to a non frizzle right? what about the silkie feathering "hair"

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Correct, frizzling is dominant but Frizzles carry only one gene, so Frizzle x Non-frizzle = 50/50 of each.

Silkied feathering is recessive so you require a bird to carry both genes to be furry looking.

You can always get a frizzled bantam Cochin, cross it to a d'Uccle, and there ya go - 50% of the offspring will be frizzled, not purebred, but still quite similar in appearance to a d'Uccle. The white color won't show up though because mottling is also recessive.

9. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    so how would one go about making a pure frizzeled d'uccle? taking like frizzle cochran x d'uccle, then using the frizzeled looking d'uccle and crossing them back with another d'uccle? how many times would that have to be done, i know it will take a while but am i on the right track? i really want pure frizzeled d'uccles one day

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You can cross back to the d'Uccle using Frizzles until you get birds that breed true to the d'Uccle Standard and have a recognized color. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by