Is there a Gardening Board Like this one ?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by The French Hen, Aug 6, 2010.

1. The French Hen

The French Hen Tres Chic

Jul 31, 2010
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    I love this board for many reasons, besides being fun, this board is very informative and I feel like if I have a quick question I can get enough replies to discern what I need to do...

soooooo....

I am also taking up gardening ( gonna retire in a few years and figure I'm gonna need something to do)
    Anyway, I have attempted gardening in the past with disatrous results........so this year I am trying again !!

I never say DIE...........

I think I have tried growing tomatoes for the past 7 years and have yet to yield one tomato !!! But I will not give up the ship !!!!

So.......I think what I need is a board about gardening that is as informative as this board is about chickens.

Can anyone direct me to one or maybe one of you guys who are pro gardners want to start one up ???

Thanks ( Merci Beacoup)

Au revoir

Pat the French Hen [​IMG]

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    scroll all the way down to the very very bottom of this page and you will see a sister site to this one called the easy garden.

3. The French Hen

The French Hen Tres Chic

Jul 31, 2010
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Hey,,,Thanks....I never saw that before........WOW....see how observant I am....duh..[​IMG]

4. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Well, when you wear a beret and carry around a bottle of french wine...

Did you make your avatar or find it? I need one, but... Everyone else's is so 'cool' ...I may go for 'groovy' or something.

5. The French Hen

The French Hen Tres Chic

Jul 31, 2010
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Don't forget the cigarette in the cigarette holder....too cool...no I did not make this avatar I found it and thought it was way too cool and very French looking....The French with their wine and they all smoke like chimney's but the cigarette in the cigarette holder was way too cool...
    Tres Chic......and I am half French and love going to France and love all things French....weeelll...most things French so for me this was so perfect a fit...

3 goodeggs...if I see something I will pass it on....

Au Revoir

6. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    A French person in a Greek town... ahh, the food!!
    I did not notice the cigarette holder, Now it is even better!
    [​IMG]

7. The French Hen

The French Hen Tres Chic

Jul 31, 2010
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    WOW I am impressed, you knew Tarpon Springs was a Greek Town, you get a gold star !!![​IMG]

Your right about the food too, only last year I went to Greece and found out the food over there is not only different than the Greek food here but way better so now I crave that stuff instead of this stuff............darn............

8. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Quote:There is the Garden Web, but you have to sort through it, because most "gardeners" are into landscaping their urban yards, not putting food on the table.

I see you live in Florida...My advice is never stop composting anything that rots: Lawn clippings, leaves, kitchen waste and any manure, you can get your hands on.

Never quit planting. It took me several attempts at figuring out the right seasonal window and the soil fertility, to grow good beets. By a stroke of luck, I planted them, where I had burned a pile of debris, the season before. Potash was the secret.

Also, just keep trying variety after variety of seeds.

Patience and persistance.

Oh, yeah, and pulling weeds, like crazy, in June and July. They grow faster than any vegetable.

9. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    A WHOLE bunch of us are also registered on The Easy Garden (link below), Sufficient Self (link below), and Back Yard Herds ((link below). There is much less urban landscaping and much more, "I want to grow a little/some/lots/tons of my own food, but I don't really have a green thumb, at TEG. VERY FRIENDLY, with VERY FEW online fights over there. In fact I joined TEG after BYC, and I have more posts there than here.
    SS has a decidedly science geek crowd. They discuss subjects like practical solar lighting, and how to be...self-sufficient, in pretty much every way. Very nerdy.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Void

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by