Is there a good video of how to do a physical exam on a chicken?

RuffIedFeathers

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
I'm interested in learning how to do a general physical/medical exam on my chickens. I've read about how to do it, but I'm a visual learner. Does anyone know of where I could find a video showing everything you would do, with images of what's normal vs not normal? I also welcome any other advice or guidance!
Thank you!

That's a very basic exam. In addition, you may want to feel the crop to be sure it's not overfull or hard and lumpy or has a bad odor.

Looking at the bottoms of the feet every so often can catch injuries before they get infected. Chicken feet easily get injured and attention to the feet pays off. It's easier to treat a minor injury than an infected one.

And learn the anatomy of your chicken so you can expertly ask us for help if you have questions or any problems.
BB686644-1C07-4857-915C-A2041F6233BA.jpeg

That's a very basic exam. In addition, you may want to feel the crop to be sure it's not overfull or hard and lumpy or has a bad odor.

Looking at the bottoms of the feet every so often can catch injuries before they get infected. Chicken feet easily get injured and attention to the feet pays off. It's easier to treat a minor injury than an infected one.

And learn the anatomy of your chicken so you can expertly ask us for help if you have questions or any problems. View attachment 3341063
I keep trying to feel the crop, but I just don't know if I'm doing it right. I asked a vet I know to show me, but she doesn't work with chickens and wasn't sure. I suppose there's a video for that somewhere out there? I'm a visual and hands on learner, so reading about something only goes so far for me to fully understand and comprehend.

The best way to learn is on your own chickens. A lot of people are confused about the crop mostly because it's impossible to feel unless it's got food in it. To feel what an empty crop feels like, feel the chest of a chicken before it eats in the morning. It will be flat.

To learn what a normal crop feels like, feed your chickens and when they're finished eating, pick one up and locate the full sack on the front of the chest wall just slightly on the right side. This is a good idea so you will be able to tell how a normal crop feels after a chicken eats and the normal size of it. This way, if a chicken acts sick at some point and you check the crop, you will know if it's normal size and consistency. A sick crop can feel totally different, but you wouldn't know unless you've felt a normal crop.

I commend you for wanting to learn these things before you find you have a chicken with a health issue.

The best way to learn is on your own chickens. A lot of people are confused about the crop mostly because it's impossible to feel unless it's got food in it. To feel what an empty crop feels like, feel the chest of a chicken before it eats in the morning. It will be flat.

To learn what a normal crop feels like, feed your chickens and when they're finished eating, pick one up and locate the full sack on the front of the chest wall just slightly on the right side. This is a good idea so you will be able to tell how a normal crop feels after a chicken eats and the normal size of it. This way, if a chicken acts sick at some point and you check the crop, you will know if it's normal size and consistency. A sick crop can feel totally different, but you wouldn't know unless you've felt a normal crop.

I commend you for wanting to learn these things before you find you have a chicken with a health issue.
Thank you so much, that's very helpful! I'm going to give it try tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom