is there a kind of chicken I can get to raise my meat chickens?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by offthehook08, May 9, 2011.

1. offthehook08

offthehook08 New Egg

May 9, 2011
    I want to avoid having to get a brooder is there any kind of chicken that I can buy that will raise my meat chickens?

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    There is no breed of chicken that will just accept and raise chicks if she sees them. Even those that "go broody" and want to hatch eggs are not reliable, if/when they do so is on their own time and you can't influence when she will want to raise a family. Plus, those meat chicks get big fast, they will be too big for her to brood long before they no longer need heat.

3. offthehook08

offthehook08 New Egg

May 9, 2011
    How long do I need to leave them under the heat lamps? It's already in the 90's here. I've done egg layers but I'm new to meat Chickens! I just ordered my first set today!

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    About $20 to make one of these brooders.

[​IMG]

You need to be concerned about the low temp each day. Have light on them at night to keep them around 80-90 the first few weeks, and drop temp steadily. Mine went outside at 3 weeks, and we had freezing weather a few nights. Sounds like you'll have no problem getting transitioned outside.

5. hoping4better

hoping4better Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    @dogfish

What is that PVC pipe thing in your brooder and are those ducks in the background? Oh and do you have plans for that?

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:not true I had 2 silkies taking care of 25 cornish crosses...I didn't do it on purpose but my meaties only needed heat until they were 2 weeks old and then they were fine. My silkies are still taking "care" of them at 6 weeks old...the meaties are twice the size of the hens, but they still think they are their mamas!

7. offthehook08

offthehook08 New Egg

May 9, 2011
    Quote:I'dove to make one of these can you walk me through it. measurments, materials, ect. I have something similar made for my baby egg layers.

8. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:not true I had 2 silkies taking care of 25 cornish crosses...I didn't do it on purpose but my meaties only needed heat until they were 2 weeks old and then they were fine. My silkies are still taking "care" of them at 6 weeks old...the meaties are twice the size of the hens, but they still think they are their mamas!

Silkies are wonderful birds for incubating and brooding chicks, ducklings, etc...

We've slid extra chicks with the silkies and they just have been very willing to adopt new babes.

9. walls0stone3

walls0stone3 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    that is why I got silkies. i don't like them. they are 100% not the kind of bird I'm into.. but the ablity to brood saves me time and $

10. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    You might get away with it if you only put about 8 chicks under a broody. And if you also give them a very cosy nestbox and replace it with another bigger (but still cosy one) as they grow... It's what I've been doing, pretty much (though with sussex, which aren't growing quite as fast).

My meat hybrids were cold brooded but I have to say, it took a lot of effort this time around (as they kept outgrowing the igloo). Wish I'd had more broodies at the time.

regards
    Erica

Edited to add: many but not all broodies will accept chicks if a) it's done at night and b) the chicks are genuine day olds (not say a week old). In the end you may need to brood them yourself if she refuses. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by