Is there a live petcam so i can keep an eye on my flock?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Silkies~Polishes, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Silkies~Polishes

Silkies~Polishes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Ive been looking for a petcam that videos my chickens, not just takes pictures. I like to let my chickens be in a pen but im nervous that a bird or something will dig under the fence will get them. Does anybody atleast know of one? You dont have to own it i just need some possible ones to look at
    Thanks!!

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    I don't use any but i've seen people on here use wireless webcams in their coops. Don't know anything about them as far as range or anything.

3. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    We have a cam in our coop, if you go to our blog here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/ and click on the chicken on the right hand side it will take you to our chicken coop cam. That camera is a Cisco WVC210, we also have a goat cam and that's a Panasonic.

4. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I can see the goats from above but I don't think the chicken cam is working.

5. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    same here about the chicken cam

6. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    Yes, it didn't appear to be working for some reason for awhile, but I just checked it and it worked - but now it's dark here so you can't see anything.

7. Silkies~Polishes

Jun 2, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Okay the goat cam is cool! I like that the image is refreshed every 3 seconds which is as good as a video!

8. TonysChickens

TonysChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    I got dropcams ordered. Will be here in about a week. Will let you know how it works out soon. In the meantime you can check out what it is and how it works. I like the fact you can watch it even on your phone live :)

9. Silkies~Polishes

Jun 2, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    oh thats cool! that would be nice to have so wherever i am i can check on my chickens! especially if im bored somewhere i can watch them! although people might think im a chicken stalker!!! [​IMG] hehe

10. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    I use a Foscam wireless cam, it can be set up to view over the internet, so I can see them from anywhere. It has good infared capabilities, so I can see inside the coop at night. Setup is tricky unless you're a good computer geek, their tech support is rather limited but there is a good user forum.

Also, look into the Blue Iris webcam software, it supports hundreds of different types and brands of cameras (there are a lot out there of very varied quality- and there are cheap counterfeit clones of any good cams available on places like ebay, so be very careful where you make your purchase).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by