1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there a market for Mixed Breed "barnyard" chickens?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by paramedicpuddin, Jan 13, 2016.

1. paramedicpuddin

paramedicpuddin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2016
    Jimtown, WV
    I am in the process of starting my own little chicken farm. My dad and I started this in March, he passed away in April. So far, I have 51 flock members. I ordered a incubator and want to hatch some eggs. All of my roo's and hens are together. The only full breeds I would have would be Dominiques.
    Is there a market for mixed breeds out here? I am eventually, hopefully within the next few months, will be able to raise full bloods of a few breeds.
    I sell a lot of fresh eggs around my area for people to eat. But, I want to keep some as well to hatch.
    Thanks!

2. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd like to know also. I am planing to get 10 hens and one rooster in Spring. I will be mostly hatching my own chicks, but I need to send the roosters somewhere.

3. paramedicpuddin

Jan 11, 2016
    Jimtown, WV
    I have a friend that said they'd purchase the extra roosters and older hens to process. They eat all organic, I have thought about doing that myself. I don't understand why more roosters aren't harvested for meat, seems any would be better than none.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

I don't have an insight into the market, but have read that barnyard mixes can be wonderful chickens to raise.

Wishing you luck and success in your new adventure.

5. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    A neighbor of mine sells straight run unsexed chicks. She gets $2 each. She doesn't always get them all sold. This summer she asked if I'd keep 5 in a coop at my place that wasn't in use as she had run out of room. I agreed as long as she took back any cockerels. Lucky me, all 5 are pullets. I'll find out when they start to lay if they are worth having.

6. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

I would end up eating them if they don't sell. I wouldn't necessarily sell them for meat.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wouldn't know what the market is in your area. You could post on your state thread and see what others have to say. [​IMG]

8. paramedicpuddin

Jan 11, 2016
    Jimtown, WV
    My incubator is supposed to arrive tomorrow! Can't wait!
    Thank you all for your advice!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. paramedicpuddin

Jan 11, 2016
    Jimtown, WV
    Thank you!!! I have really enjoyed my journey so far, raising chickens! It's a little addictive! I love my flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by