Is there a market for Mixed Breed "barnyard" chickens?

paramedicpuddin

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2016
Jimtown, WV
I am in the process of starting my own little chicken farm. My dad and I started this in March, he passed away in April. So far, I have 51 flock members. I ordered a incubator and want to hatch some eggs. All of my roo's and hens are together. The only full breeds I would have would be Dominiques.
Is there a market for mixed breeds out here? I am eventually, hopefully within the next few months, will be able to raise full bloods of a few breeds.
I sell a lot of fresh eggs around my area for people to eat. But, I want to keep some as well to hatch.
Thanks!

I'd like to know also. I am planing to get 10 hens and one rooster in Spring. I will be mostly hatching my own chicks, but I need to send the roosters somewhere.

I have a friend that said they'd purchase the extra roosters and older hens to process. They eat all organic, I have thought about doing that myself. I don't understand why more roosters aren't harvested for meat, seems any would be better than none.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

I don't have an insight into the market, but have read that barnyard mixes can be wonderful chickens to raise.

Wishing you luck and success in your new adventure.

A neighbor of mine sells straight run unsexed chicks. She gets $2 each. She doesn't always get them all sold. This summer she asked if I'd keep 5 in a coop at my place that wasn't in use as she had run out of room. I agreed as long as she took back any cockerels. Lucky me, all 5 are pullets. I'll find out when they start to lay if they are worth having.

I have a friend that said they'd purchase the extra roosters and older hens to process. They eat all organic, I have thought about doing that myself. I don't understand why more roosters aren't harvested for meat, seems any would be better than none.
I would end up eating them if they don't sell. I wouldn't necessarily sell them for meat.

Back
Top Bottom