Is there a pox upon my Chicken House?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickety Charcoal, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Chickety Charcoal

Chickety Charcoal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Westchester County, NY
    I think that the answer is yes, but I wanted to ask the experts. I have seen these black, raised spots on my hen's comb in the past few weeks and have been observing them. The look of them reminds me of street tar that has been dripped onto their combs. They have changed and multiplied a bit but often appear shiny. Just this past week I noticed that my BO had some of them appear on her comb where there were none before.

Here are some pics of my Welsummer with them. She was the first one I noticed them on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also this past week I noticed that this girl had black streaks, even more like something dripping, appear on her wattles. In the above picture they are clear. It was taken maybe 2 weeks ago. All chickens have started laying again this week after almost a 4 month respite. I assumed that was due to their molt, winter, etc.

Is this avian pox?

ps- Also in the first pic there appears to be a 'crack' on her beak halfway in from the tip. Has anyone seen this before? Should I be concerned? She doesn't seem to have any problems with it (she's almost 2 years old).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I will be watching for your responses. I see black spots too on the combs but they go away and don't seem to be a problem.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    No avian pox. Just squabbling.

The crack is pretty impressive. That had to hurt at the time. It looks like it is trying to heal. I don't know that I would do anything about it. I think the only real option available to you is to use some super glue to seal/set it and prevent further breakage, but I am not sure even that is necessary. I think that one is going to have to be your call.

Good luck.

4. Chickety Charcoal

Chickety Charcoal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Westchester County, NY
    Oh? So you think they are scabs from others picking at her? It's strange because I never see them squabbling. Granted I am not around them 24/7. Also the Welsummer is at the top of the group. My BO, which is also getting these spots, is the alpha. No one messes with her.

The crack does not go through to the mouth-side. It is more of a chip, like in a layer of slate rock. It may have always been there but I just noticed it from my detailed inspection of the spots. It hasn't caused any issues with her that I have noticed so I think I will leave it be.

5. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    I don't think its fowl pox just normal pecking.
    I've got a hen that had a crack in her beak like that, it healed up fine.
    Just keep an eye on her.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    foul pox will spread to everyone in the flock and wont just be on the comb but aslo the wattles. last month i had a very mild pox outbreak but the spots looked totally different than that, they were black and round also some did have a little fluid filled spots but nothing major

7. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Just wanted to add that that looks like a normal comb to me. Even if it's a mild pox, it'll probably just run its course and go away shortly. Nothing to worry about here.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2. I totally agree, squabbling for the best seat in the house at bedtime, that's where the pecking comes from. As far as the cracked beak goes...if she's been eating and drinking normally up til now...I wouldnt worry about it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by