is there a safe possible way to do this?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TherryChicken, Dec 27, 2013.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    How do you decrow a rooster?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    You can't.

There is a surgery call caponizing which is neutering for roosters. This is mainly done to change the texture of meat in roosters raised for food so that the hormones don't cause the meat to be tough. Some people say if done early enough this can effect the birds crowing because it causing them to stop sexually maturing. But, this is a serious, risky, major surgery and that does leave the bird infertile and has no guarantee of actually stopping them from crowing.

Some people try to control the crowing by keeping the coop darker longer so the rooster will start crowing a little less early.

There are a few vets here and there that say they do a de-crowing but from what I have read it is expensive and experimental.

If roosters aren't allowed where you are and the noise is an issue it's probably better to just not have one. I also want a roo badly but the noise just won't work in my neighborhood.

Here is another thread on the same topic:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/245882/how-to-decrow-a-rooster

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  3. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Thanks, yeah I have roosters but the stay at my bf's and only comesonce a wek for breeding, but would like to keep him with my hens if possible

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Make him into soup

5. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Aww I couldn't do that to any of my birds. This is my pure cream legbar boy. The hens are here and he is at my bf's place (hens lay twice as good here then there). So he is broughthere every Friday that they are laying.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Why are you breeding your hens every week? Are you incubating that many eggs?

7. roxyanddutches

roxyanddutches Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Florida
  8. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx

Just just to continue to be sure eggs are fertile. Right now they arenkt laying so roster isn't coming bck untill they begin to lay again

9. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx

Yea he messaged me. I don't wan to risk loosing my roo and I want to continue to breed him with his girls.

10. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Yes, a surgical procedure can be done to "decrow" a rooster. I know a guy who had it done. Just make sure the veterinarian is an Avian vet, and belongs to the Association of Avian Veterinarians would be a benefit. You'll have to track one down in your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by