Is there a secret to hatching Dutch Bantams

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FrenchToast, Jan 30, 2012.

1. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Just wondering what the secret is to hatching Dutch Bantams. I get mine to lockdown but they never pip. Is the shell maybe to hard for the little buggers to pip through? I can't think of anything else?

Suggestions please? Thanks

2. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Are these from your birds or ordered and sent through the mail?

Gail

3. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI

These are from my birds. They are all developing but never pip !!

4. P'Fowls

P'Fowls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Dahlonega, Ga
    How old are your birds? That will happen alot is the eggs are from young birds (pullets - 6m to 1yr old). Sometimes we will have acouple to do that when they just start back laying from taking a break or from taking a break through the winter. Also there are conditions that could cause it if the humidity isnt correct. Bantams and standards are suppose to have different humidity in the hatcher but its not neccessary. I only run one humidity in mine no matter if I have bantams or standards and always have good results.

5. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    They are last years hatch. They are hatchery birds, I don't know if that makes a difference. I was wondering if maybe the shells are to hard ? Do you know why there is a problem with hatching from younger birds? Interesting. Hope that is my problem so it gets better.
    Thanks

6. Lund Poultry

Lund Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, WI
    FrenchToast, we are in Wisconsin and have been hatching great bunches of chicks this fall and winter. I run my humidity around 62% all of the way from start to finish. I candle them when I move them to the hatching tray and pull any out at that time. I try and run mine at 99 all of the time. I use a cabinet style (OLD) incubator and I do not run it full. Have you opened any eggs to see if they are heavy wet chicks? If so I would run the humidity lower. If they seem very dry and the shells very brittle I would run a little higher. I don't know what to tell you.

7. P'Fowls

Mar 2, 2011
    Dahlonega, Ga
    It doesnt matter if they are hatchery birds. Some hatchery birds are very nice. You just have to be careful where your getting them. I will only buy from one particular hatchery because I know where they get there eggs from. But back to your question. The best way to explain it is that young birds go thru a learning process. The cockerel has to learn what to do and the pullet has to learn what to let the cockerel do. It takes them time to start laying and just plain simple learn what reproducing is all about. Im not saying every bird is like that. We have some birds like my Sussex who I have hatched off of 1 month after they started laying and have had right at 100% hatch. Others like my Blue Orpingtons I couldnt hatch off of until they was around 10 months old. It varies from chicken to chicken. There is alot out there on the net to read. If I give anyone adivice or my opinion is is from the experience Iahve had inthe past. I guess at nothing, If I dont know I will tell you. I always recommend waiting until the birds are 10-12 months old before hatchign off of them unless it is a rare breed. Then people will hatch and lose what they do in order to get the ones that hatch. In the past with young hens we have had the most abnormal chicks, chicks with various problems. That why I dont recommend using young birds less than 12 months old. A female is not a Hen until she turns 12 months old. You will hear not to hatch a pullet's eggs on the internet. That is what they are talking about. If you have anymore questions feel free to email me or message me. I dont mind to help anyone out.

Just some advice though, if the chicks dont hatch by their selves, dont hatch them. If they are not strong enough to hatch on their own, there is more than likely a defect in them. People will disagree with me, but I had a time with my wife doing that and none of them ever lived. They ended up dying anyway.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  8. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Thanks everyone. I did open up one of the eggs and the chick was fully developed. There was allot of slime on it however.These are porcelain and lavender Dutch if that makes any difference. I know with lavender silkies they are harder to hatch and no one know's why that is.

9. P'Fowls

Mar 2, 2011
    Dahlonega, Ga
    Rare breeds are always harder to hatch. It has some to do with the genetics when were made on some breeds that makes them more harder to hatch than others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by