IS there a semi-safe way to use RAT poison around DOGS????

midwestmilkmaiden

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
154
0
119
I"m running out of options!...

I was told by an old experienced farmer today that I probably have hundreds of rats!..
I've been posting on here about it and so far have had no luck..

I have a ton of rat holes going in and out of my coop and see 6 or 7 of them out at a time .. in the daylight.. scavenging around!

Yes.. I'm learning a valuable lesson here.. when I see 1 rat.. don't wait around.. TAKE ACTION!

But now.. I'm feeling a little desperate.. I really don't want to use poison.. very much against it, lost my beloved dog to neighbor using it, I just don't know ... HUNDREDS of rats!


I've been told different tricks to using poison so that the dogs can't get at it.. with pvc pipe and all.. but am worried the rats will come out of their holes and then the dogs would have a chance to get at them .. after they have ingested the poison..???

I don't know..

Just wondering if any of you have used it and know of a way to safeguard the other animals around it..??
 

Chickens-246

Songster
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
235
0
139
Sounds like a serious heath issue. I would hire a professional or use the same enclosed traps they use.

I hope your not one of those people that kill all the snakes they see. Snakes are excellent rodent control. Personally, I don't even kill the rattlers, I relocate them, but don't kill them.

With that many rats I would even consider importing snakes or other rat predators, they are non-toxic and work 24/7
 

animals1981

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
760
86
211
Toronto
My Coop
u need to adopt a bunch of shelter cats for ur barns


my friend stopped getting new cats as he lost old ones now his barn is full of rats its so darn disgusting i guess he enjoys the rats tho because he still has not brought back any cats they even come out during the day now


make sure any new cat u get is female and has orange in its fur they make the best rat killers
 
Last edited:

Beekissed

Free Ranging
12 Years
Feb 14, 2008
22,974
4,928
602
This world is not my home.
Try a nice poison that comes in a cake or solid bars called JustOneBite....I swear that all your rats will be dead in a matter of a few days. They will crawl out of the buildings looking for water and you will find them dead, lying everywhere. It only takes a few days and you can keep your dogs confined for that long.

I just keep the poison in the enclosed buildings where my other animals cannot gain access and my cats and dogs won't have anything to do with the dead animals...your dogs may be different, so I would just keep them confined until the process is over.

This poison cannot be carried away to nests and stored...they have to nibble it off the bar in order to eat it. It never fails me.

After you have taken care of this batch of rats, try it again in a week or so to get any stragglers. Then get yourself some barn cats and don't overfeed them!

Good luck!
 

aprophet

Songster
10 Years
Jan 12, 2010
3,798
35
239
chesapeake Va.
bucket/barrel traps are nonpoisonous but you need somewhere to dump all the rats most farmers I know that use them take them to the back of their land and feed the preds well away from there flock . most I know who use poison take a 2-3" PVC TEE and put a 1-2' piece of pvc pipe on all three sides and throw the poison into the pipe tee combo only rats can get into the pipe to eat the poison
 

dragonlair

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
568
10
151
Maine
I have been told by several Vets that by the time the rodent dies, the poison is no longer dangerous to a dog, the damage is done and the chemical passed out of the body.
 

midwestmilkmaiden

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
154
0
119
I hate to say it... but I think I"m going to resort to some sort of poison!~ Bad karma.. but can't deal with them .. especially with young children!

I'm trying the baking soda recipe~

...that way if the dogs do happen to stumble upon it... no worries!

Let ya'll know how it turns out.. and thanks for the input!
 

wfontjr

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
5
0
7
i take a piece of 4 inch pvc, cap on each end, drill hole one end, put the poision inside, that way the dogs can not get to it
 

ryanhodapp

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
682
33
176
St. Louis
This was a great post. I went and got Rat Poison yesterday, Just one Bite. I put 2 pieces in a PVC tube in our alley. I also looked across the alley and remembered that there is a hole in the garage across from us that never has any traffic. So I went over and put a piece in the hole. It was still visible from the outside.

About 3 hours later I checked the garage and the WHOLE piece is gone. Do rats move it back to the next or did they scarf it all down at once? And since it was gone in 3 hours, how many rats do I have and how much more should I put out and how often?

I have seen 2 in the last week, so they must love that chicken food.

thanks,
 

beachchickie

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2009
396
1
119
Alabama
Some rat poison is not poison at all it is coumadin a anticoagulant. They suffer from internal bleeding. Won't hurt your dog even if he eats the rat afterward. The dog would have to eat alot more than 1 cube to cause him internal bleeding. Some of those cubes have a nail hole so you can nail it up on a rafter or something.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom