Is there a serama site that...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by walkswithdog, Sep 16, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    References both some of the work on establishing E allelles, comparing, and has photos? Is there a site with more common colors in seramas, their names and genotype? I'm poking around reading some of the coop stuff about color and cruising some sites but wondered if there was any one compilation somewhere?

Best sites for color references even without genotype?

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Have you looked at the SCNA message board? They have a genetics section.

3. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Is that on the public forum or the join up for $ forum?

4. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    You do have to register to view the forum, but you don't have to be a dues paying member of the SCNA.

5. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Kewl cuz my daughter got married and all my money went away...

6. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Quote:Now that's funny!

Somewhere I had a link to what you were looking for, but browsing my favorites, I don't see it. Will try to locate it for you. And yup, the SCNA has a genetics section. www.SCNAOnline.org will get you there in a roundabouts way, just look for the MESSAGE BOARD link in the navigator. Who knows, I may see you there. [​IMG]

Oh, I know what I was going to say. Brian Reeder has a good book out, Genetics of the Fowl. I've found that to be a handy dandy source.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  7. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA

Somewhere I had a link to what you were looking for, but browsing my favorites, I don't see it. Will try to locate it for you. And yup, the SCNA has a genetics section. www.SCNAOnline.org will get you there in a roundabouts way, just look for the MESSAGE BOARD link in the navigator. Who knows, I may see you there. [​IMG]

Oh, I know what I was going to say. Brian Reeder has a good book out, Genetics of the Fowl. I've found that to be a handy dandy source.

Actually, Brian Reeder's book is called "An Introduction to the Color Forms of Domestic Fowl". I have it here in front of me. Hutt wrote Genetics of the Fowl. A loooonng time ago.

8. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Ondra's Seramas :

Actually, Brian Reeder's book is called "An Introduction to the Color Forms of Domestic Fowl". I have it here in front of me. Hutt wrote Genetics of the Fowl. A loooonng time ago.​

You're right. I have both, and leave it to me to mix the two up.

9. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:Actually, Brian Reeder's book is called "An Introduction to the Color Forms of Domestic Fowl". I have it here in front of me. Hutt wrote Genetics of the Fowl. A loooonng time ago.

You're right. I have both, and leave it to me to mix the two up.

Which do you recommend most for a beginner? I tried (and failed) to read Genetics of the Fowl. I am a complete beginner at genetics. Just started An Introduction to the Color Forms of Domestic Fowl.

10. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't read Brian Reeder's book but Genetics of the Fowl, while interesting, is rather outdated in some areas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by