Is There a Standard for Hatcheries/Breeders for Diseases?

BigMoma3

Songster
May 16, 2019
TN
Hi! I've only been keeping chickens for about 2 and a half years. I've nevered ordered any on my own and am clueless on the process. Our flock came from a friend who ordered 25 chicks from a hatchery and we split them.

We received Rhode Island Reds and I love them, but they are proned to internal laying and it has been severly heartbreaking these past few months. I'm wanting different, less productive breeds but not sure where to order them. I'm terrified of bringing in Mareks and other diseases. I know they are manageable with proper care, but I honestly don't think I am able to do it. Especially after the exhaustive care of my recently sick chickens with EYP. Chicken keeping, for me, needs to be enjoyable. (Not to sound like I'm unwilling to care for my chickens, but I was so stressed from this previous round of illness I became sick myself...mostly because the cause of illness was unknown until after 4 necropsies)

That said, is there a standard or certification chicken hatcheries and breeders can obtain to show their birds are free from certain diseases. I also need to say I am not of fan of vaccinations...especially mareks. I would hate to silently bring something in. If I'm going to have it, I want to be aware of it.

If there is not such a standard or certification, are there any reputable sources for ordering chicks that are proven by you all to be disease free? I'm in East TN. Thanks!

Yes. NPIP You can look it up and the website allows for searching by state for breeders/hatcheries that are NPIP certified.

HOWEVER, NPIP is only for certain diseases, and would not have any impact on certain issues, like internal laying.

Certain breeds are laying machines, and then will have internal issues after a time. You could go with a different breeder or a different breed. Depends on your goals. You want lots of eggs to sell? Then, you need a production type and then need to plan for turnover after about 2 years, for example. Some flock genetics are better than others, so may have more issues than another flock from a different genetic line, even though same breed.

Sorry for your you flock troubles, but good luck as you move forward.

Yes. NPIP You can look it up and the website allows for searching by state for breeders/hatcheries that are NPIP certified.

HOWEVER, NPIP is only for certain diseases, and would not have any impact on certain issues, like internal laying.

Certain breeds are laying machines, and then will have internal issues after a time. You could go with a different breeder or a different breed. Depends on your goals. You want lots of eggs to sell? Then, you need a production type and then need to plan for turnover after about 2 years, for example. Some flock genetics are better than others, so may have more issues than another flock from a different genetic line, even though same breed.

Sorry for your you flock troubles, but good luck as you move forward.
Thank you!! I will check into that. I know they can't tell about laying issues. Just gotta research that one. I'm more looking for things like Mareks and MG. I don't really want to sell eggs. I like my chickens to give my family eggs and enjoyment and thats all I expect from them:)

Thank you!! I will check into that. I know they can't tell about laying issues. Just gotta research that one. I'm more looking for things like Mareks and MG. I don't really want to sell eggs. I like my chickens to give my family eggs and enjoyment and thats all I expect from them:)
The major hatcheries test for avian influenza, pullorum-typhoid and are salmonella monitored. That's all they need to test for to be NPIP (AI and PT are the only tests required in this state too). Very, very few will test for MG or MS.

Back
Top Bottom