1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there a substitute for baby grit? Help!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Anna_MN, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    I ordered baby grit from the feed store and it got back ordered. So now I have 3 day old baby chicks that need baby grit asap! All the feed stores around here told me that I couldn't get baby grit for at least a week since no one is carrying it this time of year. I have oyster shells, sand, and red grit on hand right now. Is there anything else I can give them as a substitute for a week?

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    you can get parakeet grit at walmart.

3. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    That will work for baby chicks?

4. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    I didn't know chicks needed grit. [​IMG]

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Chicks that are only on starter feed do not need grit... Their food is water soluble so grit is not necessary until they are out in the grass or given other foods that will not dissolve in water. If your chicks are only getting starter food, they will be just fine without grit. Yes, parakeet grit should work since some put play sand in their brooders for this purpose.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Why do they need grit "ASAP"?
    At 3 days old all they should be eating is chick starter in either mash or crumble form.

Chris

7. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    I thought that was the case. Glad to be sure now.

8. You're just being a good mother hen... :). I'm pretty sure any grit would do... They can pick through it and find the size they like.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sand is fine as grit for tiny chicks.

Make sure when you buy grit for other types of birds that it does not contain calcium.

If they are only eating commercial starter and are not receiving treats and grass, they don't need grit. I always sprinkle starting at the third day over the food, since I like to do this. McMurray Hatchery website recommends this also. By two weeks of age, they can have a grit hopper and should not overindulge.

10. Fuzz Fuzz

Fuzz Fuzz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Netherlands
    I use pigiongrit for the little chicks, but i have to say i don't feed starterfeed.
    I feed a ground gain/seed mix i make myself. The grit is mixed trough the mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by