1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Is there a technique for administering oral meds/wormer to chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LauraG, Dec 11, 2010.

1. LauraG

LauraG Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    I see a 3 ring circus in my future....

Her head bobs every which way when I touch her, I cannot imagine how I'm getting Valbazen into her....

I mean theres no scruffing a chicken from what I know......

Help. Please.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I just wormed 19 chickens with Zimectrin Gold paste, I held the chicken wrapped in a towel opened it's mouth and my Dh[sweet guy] put the paste into their mouth. Then I closed their mouth so they wouldn't spit it out. I went pretty good actually.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You can put it on a piece of bread (1/2cc) and it'll soak in...give the bread to her to eat. She'll probably gobble it down.

4. Miss Lydia

I tried the bread first, they love bread but wouldn't touch it,

5. LauraG

LauraG Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    Both great ideas. I'll try the bread first, if that doesnt work, I'll bust out a towel and grab the old man....

i mean, I'll put the chicken in the towel, and have the old man hold. He wouldnt want me to wrap him in the towel i dont think....lol

6. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I just did over 100 with zimectrin gold. a pea size in each mouth. My son caught and I opened the mouth and put it in. Took maybe 2 hours. Was easy. I went through 9 tubes though and it is not cheap. On sale i got it for 7.99 here in washington state. But now they are all done and I feel good about it.
    Quote:

7. Miss Lydia

I don't know LauraG if it was my husband he'd probably like me to bust out the towel and grab the old man LOL and I paid about 12.00 for 1 at TRS. but it did all 19 chickens.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

8. LauraG

LauraG Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    Hehehehe Miss Lydia!

The chicken wrapped in the towel worked fine. I thank you!

9. Miss Lydia

your welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by