Is there a tracking device I can get at Radio Shack to find nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by onegoldhen, Jul 28, 2011.

1. onegoldhen

onegoldhen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    So new to raising keeping backyard chicks.

My son's show banty started showing up with a missing section of comb and missing feathers. This occurred once our cute feed store spring chicks reached about 3 months old. I noticed the adolescent or teenage rooster started jumping and "attacking" our gorgeous show banty. She must be in her twenties in human years. Now she disappears for days on under our back yard shed. When she reappears she is no longer sweet, mellow, and dignified and "show quality" in behavior. She runs between my son and the shed. She is moody, snooty, and acting like shes got great booty. We are now aware enough to keep our sweet bantys separate from the large chickens. The large chickens I now call evil.. to which my son takes offense. The bantams and large chickens now rotate yard time. I feel like a warden of a low security prison. So is this possible, do large chickens mate with bantums. Are not the "large chickens" a bit young to fertilize. Please feel free to correct my terminology and ideas about chicken mating..

Also, we are concerned she may actually have a nest outside our yard in the green belt or in a neighbors yard. Can we go to Radio Shack and buy a chicken tracker? Any ideas?

Lastly, until we figured out what might be going on we kept her caged with her sisters for at least 12 hours. Does this mean the hatching process was killed. She still disappears to where we hope is sitting on her eggs.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes, standard sized cockerels can mate with bantams.

Sounds like your little banty hen is terrified of the cockerel (a young rooster, under the age of 1 y.o.).

I would consider penning him up to protect your banties. I don't know of any such tracking device, sorry.

3. onegoldhen

onegoldhen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Ohhhh, (can you see my blank look) you are probably right. Bummer. That makes sense. She has been traumatized. Sigh. I was hoping for babies. Well. Um. He is getting to old for our suburban farm anyways.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE POST. I THINK I KNOW WHAT WE NEED TO DO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by