Is there a way I can fix them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by redrooster99, Mar 13, 2015.

1. redrooster99

redrooster99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    I need some help!
    Out of the 20 babys I bought from the auction one has a messed up foot, and one has a cross-beak.
    IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN FIX THEM?
    [​IMG]
    Cross-beak

[​IMG]
    Messed up foot.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    unless the one with a messed up foot can't walk or something, he should be fine...a couple of my leghorns broke their toes when they were babies, but were not bothered later on. As for the crossed beaki don't think that can be fixed, but don't know if it will cause him problems later on.

3. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    Thank you.

4. Mars13

Mars13 New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    Oh that's so unfortunate. I agree with the prior reply in that the little foot problem will most likely be fine unless it cannot walk. We have a guinea with a curved toe like that and it's not bothersome in the least to her. We get a laugh when it snows because we can tell her foot marks from the others.

The only concern I have with the little guy with the malformed beak is if it interferes with eating and drinking. If it's thriving right now, I'm pretty confident it will be OK as well.

Best of Luck to You and your chickens!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  5. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    Thank you, it seems to be thriving, and I have been wanting a EE that color. So as long as her baby's can't inherit her cross-beak, I will probably keep her/him.

6. Mars13

Mars13 New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    As a result of your question, I've done a little bit of research. Apparently the predominant cause of cross beak (also called scissor beak) is a result of how the little chicken positions itself in the egg prior to hatching. It seems to be a physical problem as opposed to a hereditary/genetic problem so it's not likely this characteristic will be genetically passed down to it's offspring. And your little Egger will probably compensate for her/his inability to eat or drink properly.

So enjoy your little Egger and the bounty of her vividly colored eggs! I wish her many future offspring. YAY!

7. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    Thankyou for doing research, God bless u your family and chickens.

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Cross beaks can be genetic, and considering these chicks came from an auction and the parents aren't known, I wouldn't breed that bird (I wouldn't even if it came from my incubator).
    The crooked toes may be fixable if the chicks are still young. Put a BandAid or a piece of tape on the bottom of its foot, spread the toes out to the correct position and the put another piece on top of the foot, sticking them together between the toes. Leave it there for a few days then take it off and check. If they're still crooked, you can put a new shoe on. If they're more than a week old, I don't think the shoe will make a difference though. You've gotta get them fixed up early.
    Good luck!

9. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    Thanks I probably will not breed her/him then and will probably sell it or send it to freezer camp, and I will try to fix there toes.

10. I wouldnt worry too very much about the foot, unless she is having serious trouble getting to her food and water. I have two chickens with only one foot due to a weasel attack. I thought they would die but they have survived and are a year old. Sweetest chickens i have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by