1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there a way to keep a chicken foot?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So, we just culled our first bird for food. It's all clean and in the freezer, but I was wondering if there was anything we can do to keep a chicken foot. Not for food, but, I don't know, as a memento?

2. Anish

Anish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    West Branch, Michigan
    Uh-oh!! Now you want to take a trophy! [​IMG]

If you take a small rubbermaid tub, fill it half way with rock salt, then fill the rest of the container with more rock salt, that should do the trick. I'm not sure how long it will take to dry since I have never done this with a chicken foot before. I would let it sit for two weeks and then check it.
    You can also just hang it to dry, but with the salt it goes quite a bit quicker.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Or, maybe a jar with formaldyhide (spelling/) or alcohol like preserved specimins in old natural history museums.

We used to see really gruesome things in big jars in the natural history museum when I was a kid. (I think any liquid would enlarge it after time.... )

gruesome...LOL.

4. Anish

Anish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    West Branch, Michigan
    True, good ole' over the counter 90% alcohol would work. Formaldehyde is awful stuff. Carcinogenic and expensive. Alcohol works just as well for something like a chicken foot. I guess I would opt for the drying though. Just because of the enlarging thing that you mentioned and that eventually the skin would begin to slough if it's kept in a liquid.
    Ick!!

5. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have a chicken foot sitting on my kitchen window sill. No alcohol or anything else. It has dried out. And there was no nasty smell either since chicken feet don't have much meat on them.

6. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    That's where mine are now. Probably the route I'm going to go...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by