Is there a way to sex Poults

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Shellyg, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Shellyg

Shellyg New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Dubbo Australia
    [​IMG]

HI guys very new to Turkeys. Infact this pout is my first one LOL.. I was given 2 Turkey eggs by a friend of a friend any way I popped them in the bator with a batch of ducks and well only one of the Turkey eggs was fertilised and Wala! I am really hoping that this little poult is a tom (there is a tiny lump where the snood would be). Is there a way to tell at this age and does anyone know what breed he might be?

TIA

2. chknoodles

chknoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    based on what I can see of the wings, I think you have a little girl there. You can feather sex turkeys when they are young and it is fairly accurate. There are a few videos on line on how to feather sex.

3. Shellyg

Shellyg New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Dubbo Australia
    Thank you Chknoodles.. I suspected female based on how I feather sex my Australorp chicks. But as this is my only poult (and the egg was a random gift) I was hoping for male so that I could just turn him into a magnificent pet :)

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

Sorry to hijack but do you find feather sexing them works fairly well? I've got a day old australorp I was thinking of trying it with but couldn't find if it's a breed it is successful with.

5. Shellyg

Shellyg New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Dubbo Australia
    HI Chicken obsessed.. In my experience it works very well on Australorps

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Great, will try and convince mum to let me borrow it for a bit tomorrow then :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by